Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why does AIWB get a pass on sweeping your own self?

Just a quick question...

How many people here have ever heard of someone having a pistol discharge while carrying AIWB (or strong side) without any outside influence? Yes, we have all heard of a stray finger that got caught during holstering or the "speed re-holster" or "quick draw" types that ends up shooting themselves because of inexperience. What I am referring to is the gun discharging, with no user-input.

What I am getting at is, and it have been covered in this thread, training is the #1 issue, not the position of the gun.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Just a quick question...

How many people here have ever heard of someone having a pistol discharge while carrying AIWB (or strong side) without any outside influence? Yes, we have all heard of a stray finger that got caught during holstering or the "speed re-holster" or "quick draw" types that ends up shooting themselves because of inexperience. What I am referring to is the gun discharging, with no user-input.

What I am getting at is, and it have been covered in this thread, training is the #1 issue, not the position of the gun.
    I was wondering the same thing as I sit here with a holstered condition 1 glock 19. I found the 1911 forums thread reply that I thought was interesting
    I carried a "series 70" Springfield for about a year. I felt safe. Having said that, parts do fail and if you are around this industry long enough you will see it. There's an agency in Pennsylvania that had a Glock spontaneously fire while sitting on a table because a part gave way; there's a reason why Glock makes the little orange slide plate so you can check for engagement wear between the striker and the cruciform
    Turns out said quote is from none other than ToddG

I think you should be ok unless you practice very poor weapon maintenance habits.
    Last edited by Artemas; 04-12-2015 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas View Post
    I was wondering the same thing as I sit here with a holstered condition 1 glock 19. I found the 1911 forums thread reply that I thought was interesting

Turns out said quote is from none other than ToddG

I think you should be ok unless you practice very poor weapon maintenance habits.
    I have heard of the situation he was referring to.

We had a "tester" gen2 g17 at my agency that had something in the area of 250k rounds when it just started going full auto crazy. That's when it would slam fire and would discharge randomly if left alone fully loaded, then go into full auto mode. It had massive part failures.

Only reason why I bring it up is because people worry about it too much....way too much when they should be focusing on training properly and having proper safety protocols in place.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List