Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good sports touring motorcycle?

Good sports touring motorcycle?

For you motorcycle gurus out there:
    What would be a good sports touring/commuter motorcycle with the following features:
    -in the 600cc-750cc displacement range
    -comfortable riding position
    -fairly decent windscreen
    -not too big & bulky- small enough to push out of the way easily
    -in the @$8000 price range

Basically, something I could drive to town on a regular basis, take on the occasional 4 hour trip (with luggage), and just enjoy while riding normally.
    Note, I'm not a fan of cruisers, Harley or pseudo-harleys.

ST bikes tend to be higher displacement, and more money. The seating position you describe is what used to be called a "standard" but is out of vogue. Seems like almost everything is a crotch rocket or a cruiser.

I don't think that money will get a new bike of those specs. A few year old 660 Tenere or 800 Triumph Tiger maybe. ST bikes will be heavy for the displacement, though.

Check out http://cycle-ergo.com/ to see in advance the seating position. Knees and hips close to 90 degrees is neutral. Much less than that won't be comfortable for long, if you're not in your 20s.

New:
    Kawasaki 650 versys LT http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-VERSYS-650-LT
    The above V-strom
    Honda CTX 700 http://powersports.honda.com/2015/ctx700.aspx or NC 700 http://powersports.honda.com/2015/nc700x.aspx

Maybe a BMW 650GS

Used? Lot's of options....

Triumph street triple or maybe a Triumph Tiger 800 they are both great bikes check them out! The tiger has a much better windscreen where the street triple is more sporty both have a good warranty, decent price reliable powerplant too.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

The Triumphs when I looks at them were awesome. The Yamaha FZ8 is something to look at also. Pretty much any of the naked bikes can take soft luggage comfortably and most can take a small screen.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

While I'm no bike expert,move been in the market for a new one for the past two years or so.

Not sure how familiar you are with the various niches, but you might consider an "adventure touring" bike as opposed to a "sport touring" version. The adventure touring market has exploded (relatively speaking) and overtaken the sport touring concept, meaning there are more models, more accessories,mand more development going forward put into the adventure tourers. Given the cc and price range you cite, as well as your use case, I think the adventure tourer will be more appropriate.

I very nearly bought a VStrom 650 myself, and think you'd be very happy with one. I would skip the "adventure" model since the upgrades are better bought on the aftermarket both from a cost perspective and because you may want different accessories. If you can still find a 2014 at a dealer they are available at a VERY good price.

Two bikes that I think would fit your criteria to a "T" are a couple that have been mentioned already - the VStrom and the Verseys.

Both excellent bikes with a huge aftermarket, so you can tailor them to be whatever you want them to be.

User Tag List