Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 106: Three Bills

Week 106: Three Bills

Week 106: Three Bills

Results may be posted until May 3rd, 2015.

Designed by: Bill Wilson (original Bill Drill)
    Range: 7, 15, and 25 yards
    Target: USPSA Metric or IDPA
    Start Position: Facing downrange, hands hanging naturally
    Rounds Fired: 36
    Procedure: Start facing downrange with handgun loaded with at least six rounds and holstered, hands hanging naturally. Upon start signal, draw and engage the target with six rounds.

For this drill of the week, we'll shoot the classic Bill Drill twice at each of three different distances, for a total of six runs. Shoot the Bill Drill twice at 7 yards, twice at 15 yards, and twice at 25 yards. Record all hits and times. Concealment is optional.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any), USPSA Metric or IDPA target
    7 yard Times and Hits: (as an example - 1st run, 2.00 seconds with 5A/1C, 2nd run, 1.85 seconds with 6A
    15 yard Times and Hits: (as an example - 1st run, 2.7 seconds with 4A/2C, 2nd run, 2.5 seconds with 6A
    25 yard Times and Hits: (as an example - 1st run, 4.00 seconds with 3A/3C, 2nd run, 3.5 seconds with 6A
    Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Woot! Just in time for range day tomorrow.

Girsan 9mm, Blade tech OWB holster, Blackhawk mag holders, stupid looking vest for concealment.

All drills shot using a template made IPSC standard target. I used the same target for all drills.

7 Yards
    1) 3.46 - 6A
    2) 3.22 - 6A

Pic of target:

15 yards:
    1) 4.94 4A/2C
    2) 3.97 5A/1C

25 yards:
    1) 6.57 3A/3C
    2) 5.01 5A/1D

For both the 15 and 25 yard targets, after the first "test" run I picked up the pace. I think experience shooting B8's at 25 yards really helped with the longer range Bill's and I'm reasonably happy with my times/scores at 15 and 25 yards. The front sight on the Girsan is fairly wide and a thinner front sight would be helpful.

Gen3 G34 in a Keeper concealed under a polo shirt. Used USPSA Metric targets.

7 yard times and hits: 1st run, 1.99 with 6A. 2nd run, 1.96 with 6A.
    15 yard times and hits: 1st run, 2.19 with 3A3C. 2nd run, 2.23 with 5A1C.
    25 yard times and hits: 1st run, 3.05 with 3A3C. 2nd run, 3.05 with 5A1D.

Observations: A little surprised at how fast the 15 and 25 yard runs were. Not the most disciplined shooting there either.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Equipment: USPSA Metric target, Glock 34, CompTac owb holster from open front concealment

7 yards Run 1 – 4.27 w/ 6A; Run 2 – 3.56 w/ 5A, 1C
    15 yards Run 1 – 4.78 w/ 4A, 2C; Run 2 – 5.68 w/ 4A, 2C
    25 yards Run 1 – 6.23 w/ 4A, 1C, 1D; Run 2 – 5.26 w/ 3A, 1C, 2D

Was a little disappointed. Shot this at the end of my first practice session and was having difficulty focusing on the front sight. Seems like my eyes fatigue pretty quickly now. Trying to work with ocular implants and bi-focals is a pain. Have to work on that trigger press also. Everything outside the A was to the left.

Gun RTF2 G19
    Holster Talon Tactical A10 OWB at 3:00 no concealment

7 yds 1st run 2.83 6A 2nd run 2.70 5A 1C

15 yds 1st run 3.29 4A 2C 2nd run 4.38 5A 1C

25 yds 1st run 5.76 6A 2nd run 5.25 5A 1C

Just newly adopted method of elbows higher and pointed outbound seemed to confirm better support hand grip and recoil control. Felt a bit slower to confirm index/sights from holster to first shot. I expect that to even out with time.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Equipment used: G19 w/RMR06 and KKM compensator carried AIWB in a JM Custom holster from under an un-tucked long sleeve Patagonia shirt firing Fed AE9FP 147 gr FMJ on USPSA Metric targets.

7 yard Times and Hits: 2.30 sec with 6A, 2nd run, 2.33 sec with 6A
    15 yard Times and Hits: 2.69 sec with 5A/1B, 2nd run, 2.79 sec with 6A
    25 yard Times and Hits: 4.25 sec with 5A/1C, 4.00 sec with 5A/1B

I repeated the test using the same G19, but with a standard uncompensated KKM barrel:

7 yard Times and Hits: 2.47 sec with 6A, 2nd run, 2.41 sec with 5A/1C
    15 yard Times and Hits: 3.46 sec with 5A/1C, 2nd run, 3.62 sec with 6A
    25 yard Times and Hits: 4.47 sec with 4A/2C, 4.55 sec with 5A/1C

Observations: The compensated G19 was faster to shoot--particularly at longer ranges, generally offered better accuracy, and had noticeably tighter groups. When shot 10 rounds slow fire at 25 yds on an NRA B8 target, the KKM comp barrel shot 99-3x, the KKM standard barrel shot 100-3x.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I had gotten the impression over the years that 9mm was not really helped much by comps. Bad conclusion! That's really interesting as well as the comparo on the GM test thread.

And great shooting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Gen 4 G34, Blade-Tech OWB, USPSA metric targets.

7 yards: 2.79 with 6A, 2.68 with 6A

15 yards: 4.70 with 4A2C, 4.80 with 5A1C (rightmost shot is two through the same hole)

25 yards: 5.00 with 3A3C, 5.31 with 4A2C
    (was in a short bay today, had to stick it halfway up on the berm to get enough distance)

I'm comfortable shooting at 15 and 25 yards for accuracy at moderate speed (say 10 shots in 15 seconds, thank you GSSF indoor league), but have not worked on pushing speed while maintaining A zone hits, and also have not worked longer distances off the draw. Need to put some time in on this. I found it interesting that there was such an increase in time between 7 and 15 but not so much of a difference between 15 and 25...curious to see how that changes over the coming months.

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any), USPSA Metric or IDPA target
    Didn't have uspsa targets, so just used 8" plates. Not sure how this compares...

7 yard Times and Hits:
    4.16, 4.27

15 yard Times and Hits:
    6.24-1, 5.83-1

25 yard Times and Hits:
    9.43-1, 10.24

Observations: anything you noticed
    I think I've reached a point where practice with different triggers is more confusing than helpful. I feel like if I practiced more, I could overcome that or even benefit from it. As it is, I'm going to start dry firing with a real gun instead of my sirt, and stop shooting my 617 as a trigger finger workout, see what happens.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List