Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: trigger finger safety

edit: covered already
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm on the trigger at the earliest safest opportunity. Early as possible. Safety is off and finger is on at the earliest opportunity. I don't get the discussion. Seems like it's much ado about nothing?

Some of this discussion completely ignores common sense.

If Evil Kneivel is riding wheelies down the highway at 55mph, is that dangerous for Evil? Or it it dangerous to the guy that can't ride the wheelie and just witnesses the act?

Those that do........do. Those that can't ......... Don't. Or, maybe they teach, same difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtrax View Post
    I'm on the trigger at the earliest safest opportunity. Early as possible. Safety is off and finger is on at the earliest opportunity. I don't get the discussion. Seems like it's much ado about nothing?

If Evil Kneivel is riding wheelies down the highway at 55mph, is that dangerous for Evil? Or it it dangerous to the guy that can't ride the wheelie and just witnesses the act?

Those that do........do. Those that can't ......... Don't. Or, maybe they teach, same difference.
    preach.

not sure I understand any of your post. Safest opprutonity, got It. The rest of it just doesn't make sense

Gabe and Chuck are very smart men and I can't add anything of substance to what they said.

IMO, in the LE world, people tend to creep on the trigger when they less secure in their ability. In their mind, it's a way to gain speed and advantage, and it's praying to a false God. Like most things it a training issue, combined with a confidence issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I teach keep the trigger finger at a point of positive reference until the decision to fire is made AND you are moving the gun into position to shoot. I won't say "sights on target" because you might be shooting from retention.

IMHO, cops point guns at WAY too many people they shouldn't be pointing guns at, trigger finger is a sketchy safety, muzzle control should be thrown in as well.
    From retention, your sights are on target if you are doing it right.....so I am good with "sights on target".

Many people lose the fact that there are multiple ways to fire a pistol without the brain involved. I could give a care on the competition thread as most really don't care and it comes down to who is doing it...again, whatever, not my sport and doesn't affect me.

In this realm, situations will drastically change in the middle of a press (most active LEO's have had this happen numerous times), targets are smart enough to not stand still and you need a solid sight track prior to pressing (hard to time this right without the sights on and tracking), and you have ever changing environmental issues. I was on a trigger press once when the suspects mother ran past me and tackled her son who was charging me with a large knife....sometimes being right is more important than being fast.

My biggest issue with much of this stuff trying to apply the competition optional safety rules, particularly on the golden rules of the physical ones #2 and 3 where non shoots are regularly covered as a matter of practice and fingers are regularly in trigger guards. If that complies to the sport rules, then that is the rules. That is not the case when living breathing humans are down range in a 360 degree environment. If you allow this during training for the 360 in a 180, it will be a sub-conscious habit. This is one area we have learned a ton about in the last 25 years. We can either accept current best practices or continue using he same practices that not only resulted in a period when a third of SWAT cops shot were shot by there own people and numerous ND's also occurred, many fatal to those who should not of been shot.

I just wish people would work within the parameters of what we know works and if they fall outside of that then gladly accept responsibility when it goes wrong and quit making excuses.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 04-05-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Early as possible may be completely inappropriate to the situation at hand, might be OK, might not be, hence why we are talking about this stuff.

If Evel (correct spelling) is riding a wheelie down the highway at 0330 and there is no other traffic, then OK, who cares?, but what if it's rush hour, what if it's through a crowded mall parking lot, what if it's through a kindergarten playground?

"Those who can..." silly assed bullshit platitudes bring nothing useful to the discussion.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter

You're not from around here, so you get a pass. But....you're showing your ass around a metric ton of us who HAVE done, still DO and TEACH also and we're not talking about shooting cardboard at fantasy gun camp. Nyeti, Chuck Haggard and I have all been on sights and trigger on assholes and stopped the shot(s). That can only be done if you're still in a logical (as opposed to emotional/limbic) frame of mind and are still doing a threat evaluation as you refine sights and press triggers.

Getting on a trigger as soon as possible, results in fast, but not necessarily faster, shots. It also results in shots fired that hit things you may not want to at times. Most of the time we get lucky on those, but many times we don't. Fast doesn't mean right, it just means fast.

Finger off the trigger and in register until THREE things happen: target identified, decision to shoot target formed based on objective reason(s) and weapon is oriented on the target (sights on). Keeps us from shooting without our brain firing the shot, don't ya know!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    You're not from around here, so you get a pass. But....you're showing your ass around a metric ton of us who HAVE done, still DO and TEACH also and we're not talking about shooting cardboard at fantasy gun camp. Nyeti, Chuck Haggard and I have all been on sights and trigger on assholes and stopped the shot(s).

^awesome^

Games or real life, keep your finger indexed on metal until you're ready to shoot. It's doesn't matter how good you are or think you are you're still human!
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 04-06-2015 at 11:14 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Fourtrax is banned.

User Tag List