Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HD Shotgun flashlight.

HD Shotgun flashlight.

I'm looking for a light to mount to a Home Defense Shotgun. I would like to keep the budget around 100.00.
    The first question involves which switch?
    So far I have under consideration
    Streamlight TLR-1 HL
    Surefire Fury single brightness.
    I am thinking a clamp from extended tube to barrel. I can get either picatinny rail or just a 1" clamp specifically for a flashlight.

What shotgun are you using? I run an 870 with a Magpul fore end that has a small rail attach. I then use an INFORCE WML and activate it with my thumb. I found the light on eBay for about $75 and the fore end was about $20.

Its a Remington 1100.I want to leave it stock except for the magazine extension and the light.
    I am asking about which because of low light tactics. Is one type recommended more than the other.
    I like the Streamlight because it is a wide beam which seems perfect for home defense. I like Surefire for the warranty. I plan on the beam from the light illuminating a fiber optic front.

Quote Originally Posted by mluikey View Post
    What shotgun are you using? I run an 870 with a Magpul fore end that has a small rail attach. I then use an INFORCE WML and activate it with my thumb. I found the light on eBay for about $75 and the fore end was about $20.

I doubt you'll be able to get a light mounted so that it lights up the FO front sight, but you'll be able to get it silhouetted against the target nicely.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I doubt you'll be able to get a light mounted so that it lights up the FO front sight, but you'll be able to get it silhouetted against the target nicely.
    That will work too.

http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Acce...CDM-MOD-C.html

I use the above mount with a single output surefire G2 on my Benelli M1. It is easy to use, and pretty solid. it also lights up the front sight nicely.

I'll take some pictures shortly.

ETA: The CDM mount is out of stock everywhere I looked. Apparently they are in production (http://www.cdmgear.com/lightmounts.html).
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

They will be back in stock next week. So the G2 doesn't have a clicky. It's twist to on. This is the type of switch you recommend? If you have time can you explain your decision to me so I can understand the thought process.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Acce...CDM-MOD-C.html

I use the above mount with a single output surefire G2 on my Benelli M1. It is easy to use, and pretty solid. it also lights up the front sight nicely.

I'll take some pictures shortly.

ETA: The CDM mount is out of stock everywhere I looked. Apparently they are in production (http://www.cdmgear.com/lightmounts.html).

I don't think I am in a position to recommend anything, but I will happily share my experiences and what works for me.

Modulating a clicky tail cap, especially on a light with multiple brightness levels has always been a pain in the ass for me. I would get constant bright when I was after momentary, and momentary dim when I wanted something else. The only clicky light I've had simply did not work for me.

When I activate a weapon mounted light, I want to know exactly what I am getting every time, regardless of how I activate the button on the back. I also cannot think of a situation I would want the weapon light to be constantly on where I would not have the time to twist the tailcap an eighth of a turn or whatever.
    Last edited by JDM; 04-03-2015 at 11:19 AM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Two brightness level clickies also will sometimes change modes under recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I don't think I am in a position to recommend anything, but I will happily share my experiences and what works for me.

Modulating a clicky tail cap, especially on a light with multiple brightness levels has always been a pain in the ass for me. I would get constant bright when I was after momentary, and momentary dim when I wanted something else. The only clicky light I've had simply did not work for me.

When I activate a weapon mounted light, I want to know exactly what I am getting every time, regardless of how I activate the button on the back. I also cannot think of a situation I would want the weapon light to be constantly on where I would not have the time to twist the tailcap an eighth of a turn or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Two brightness level clickies also will sometimes change modes under recoil.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I'm looking for a light to mount to a Home Defense Shotgun. I would like to keep the budget around 100.00.
    The first question involves which switch?
    So far I have under consideration
    Streamlight TLR-1 HL
    Surefire Fury single brightness.I am thinking a clamp from extended tube to barrel. I can get either picatinny rail or just a 1" clamp specifically for a flashlight.
    I see what you are saying. Both lights I have specified are single brightness. I can see with a clickie the light could be switched on when you just wanted a flash. All my experience was with NVG, Starlight NOD not flashlights. Seems like I need a low level light class, I would like to purchase whatever is the current recommendation.

User Tag List