Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Travis Haley, MD-PhD

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Hell, I didn't even look at the study, I just thought the title was funny. At any rate, Byron is proof people actually do investigate what they've heard in passing.
    Whether it's good, bad, or neutral, life experience tells me I'm a pretty abnormal guy. That's especially true when it comes to my love for chasing down and reading academic articles that interest me. I'm not sure I should be used as a shining example of why overcomplicating material is A-OK.

Even with all of that said, and even with my own strong love for $5 words, I couldn't make it through more than about a minute of Haley's presentation.

I think he is purposefully using complex terms where simpler ones would do. I think he is misusing some of the terms, which backfires horribly. I would further argue that even if some of the terms could theoretically fit, there's no science behind a lot of what he's saying. Do we really think that the reason people improve their shooting with rhythm drills is through "neural muscular efficiency" and speeding up the "connectivity from our brains to our trigger finger"? I would be utterly floored if anyone could produce a shred of evidence that the biggest hurdle (if any hurdle) to shooting at high speed is your brain not being able to send "SQUEEZE!" commands to your trigger finger fast enough.

Hand the most untrained person in the world an airsoft pistol, tell them to pull the trigger as fast as they can, and get ready to see 0.00001 splits. While that number is an obvious exaggeration, the ridiculously light trigger and nonexistent recoil of an airsoft pistol will immediately show that a human brain can send those SQUEEZE! commands to the trigger finger faster than a real pistol can ever be shot.

This is what bothers me more than the $5 words: the illusion of scientific principles where none exist. I'm not accusing Haley of being a snake-oil salesman, but when I hear people abusing scientific phrases, it sets off my snake-oil alarm. Once that alarm goes off, it's pretty hard to quiet it down again.

To be clear: I am neither a Haley/Costa hater nor a fanboy. I find great value in some of their material... but not all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    Martha did possess a diminutive specimen of domesticated ruminant, who’s epidermal layer supported a think coat of fibrous protein with spectral signatures reminiscent of dihydrogen monoxide in it’s crystalline form.
    A graph depicting geolocation of both Martha and the ruminant over time will appear identical.
    On a particular terrestrial rotational period it maintained physical proximity to Martha as she proceeded to an educational facility. This apparently violated certain ordinances.
    This event precipitated mirth, expressed both vocally and kinetically, by adolescents attending the institution.

Seems like there's a better way of putting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Ya yo, that chick Martha, she had this crazy rat looking thing with fur that was white as snow....

I think the trick is to find a happy medium. There's a fine line between sounding like a dumbass and sounding like a pompous ass.
    I don't think the line is as fine as you make it seem. Actually I don't think the line is fine at all: I think there's a huge gray area between an inarticulate dumbass and a pompous walking thesaurus.

Bigguy's example (which is beautiful, by the way) replaced words of specific meaning with much more complicated words of similar meaning.
    Your example, on the other hand, removed a lot of meaning. "This crazy rat looking thing" is not a useful equivalent for "lamb."

And even though the original is "dumbed down" enough that small children can understand it, no one would call you a child for using that language in daily life. If you said, "Wow, that's lamb's fleece is white as snow," no one would ask why you were talking like a dumbass.

In fact, that's the overarching theme of the study that Chance brought to my attention. The more you can simplify material, the more people will accept it, and the higher they will rate your intelligence. The more you use complex words, the more likely your audience will ignore/reject your message and/or view you as less intelligent.

None of this is to say that everyone should stick to a monosyllabic vocabulary. If a complex word needs to be used then it needs to be used. As noted by many in the thread, this is especially true in specialized fields. But I respectfully challenge anyone to tell me why "neural muscular efficiency" needed to be used in this video.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    If a complex word needs to be used then it needs to be used. As noted by many in the thread, this is especially true in specialized fields. But I respectfully challenge anyone to tell me why "neural muscular efficiency" needed to be used in this video.
    I think the more interesting question is not why "neural muscular efficiency" needed to be used, but rather why it was used.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    ...img...
    That image is hilarious for completely missing the reason why certain members of the primate family evolved to have much larger testicles than others.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Can you expand on the game like approach comment, I want to see if my thoughts mirrored yours
    His holster and mag pouches are clearly set up for competition. His hands up draw, with the careful grip check is purely a competition habit. Avery does it all the time. None of those things affected the shooting at all. He used to appear more tactically oriented (not orientated). Not so anymore. Which is not really a criticism, just an observation. People should shoot guns they like, with gear they like, in ways they like.
    Last edited by SLG; 04-02-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Would you be more specific? Who are the best shooters in the world and what concepts do they disagree with and why? All of them disagree with all the concepts in the video?

I've had one class with Travis and wouldn't sign up for another but I do find the videos he does interesting - definitely seems like he's raising the bar for using kinesiology(?) to approach improved performance. And I find that much more mentally stimulating and physically challenging then the LCD pieces that so many trainers put out.
    What's an LCD piece? I think you've gone to the wrong schools, if that's what you're seeing.

I should have been more specific. Though I don't personally agree with the ideas he presented on how to use a box of ammo to good effect, what I really meant about "shooting concepts" had to do with what I believe was the only time he talked about "how to shoot better". When he mentioned using pliability to control recoil or the gun would bounce (or something like that, I can't watch it again), he lost me. Rob and most of the rest of the shooters on the supersquads that I've shot on and with, all hold the gun extremely hard. Though some claim to be relaxed on the gun, I've never seen anyone actually be relaxed while shooting fast, accurate splits with full power ammo, in a more or less stock gun.

I shoot a gen4 G22 with no backstrap, every bit as fast and accurately as a 9mm. That is only possible because the smaller grip allows me to crush it more than the Gen3's. 180 at 1000 fps, fwiw. I hear people complain about how hard .40 cal glocks recoil and I just don't get it. Grip it harder. Shoot it faster.
    Last edited by SLG; 04-02-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I shoot a gen4 G22 with no backstrap, every bit as fast and accurately as a 9mm. That is only possible because the smaller grip allows me to crush it more than the Gen3's. 180 at 1000 fps, fwiw. I hear people complain about how hard .40 cal glocks recoil and I just don't get it. Grip it harder. Shoot it faster.
    Preach it!

But seriously, how much of that is related to how much professional time you've spent shooting .40 vs 9mm? I almost don't feel comfortable now if I don't have the pop of .40 after having shot it so much more than 9.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Preach it!

But seriously, how much of that is related to how much professional time you've spent shooting .40 vs 9mm? I almost don't feel comfortable now if I don't have the pop of .40 after having shot it so much more than 9.
    I would always prefer a 9mm. Not faster to shoot per se, but less effort to shoot as fast. Less fatiguing as well, though truth be told, the Gen 4's just don't wear me out like the gen 3's. I shot 750 rds the other day and when I was done, felt fine, so I broke out my .45 (205 power factor ammo) and shot a bunch of that. Also, I'm not that fast on the splits, so I should be upfront about that. My average splits, whether 9 or .40 are in the .17 to .20 range. That's for an all A's Bill drill at 7 yards. Others can shoot faster splits with the same or better accuracy. I used to teach "pliability", and when I realized that wasn't what I actually did to be effective, I stopped. Confirmation from many national and world champion shooters didn't hurt either.

The problem is, many high level shooters don't fully understand what they are doing to shoot as well as they do. So they talk about pliability.

Site Supporter
    There are peer-reviewed articles about shooting? Do you recall the titles off the top of your head?
    There are too many to list. Google scholar: firearms, marksmanship, etc. and lots of human factors things will come up. Heart rate on shooters' performance, type of safety and NDs - things like that.

Effects of FOF training on police performance, shooting decisions by law enforcement.

I save them but I might write a book! In any case, there is more than just anecdotal experts' stories.

It's also worth noting that this issue has been well known to prolific writers for decades (if not centuries), whether or not they realized exactly why.

Ernest Hemingway, Cormac McCarthy, and Hunter S. Thompson wrote at a 4th, 5th, and 6th grade reading levels, respectively. The three are widely regarded as brilliant, prolific writers: not simpletons.

...we should aim to reduce complexity in our writing as much as possible. We won’t lose credibility by doing so. Our readers will comprehend and retain our ideas more reliably. And we’ll have a higher likelihood of reaching more people.

Or the tl;dr version for those who don't want to read the linked article:

"Never use a long word where a short one will do."
    "If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out."
    "Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent."
    - George Orwell

"Any word you have to hunt for in a thesaurus is the wrong word. There are no exceptions to this rule."
    - Stephen King

User Tag List