Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss: Safety

Does this help answer the time frame, targeting, prep, etc question?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Yes. I think the original image didn't capture the shooter lean angle/barricade relationship very well, and made it appear that the gun was a lot more muzzle high than it was in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Yes. I think the original image didn't capture the shooter lean angle/barricade relationship very well, and made it appear that the gun was a lot more muzzle high than it was in reality.
    The pictures are at different points in time...look at the angle of his elbow.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    If you know where to find that picture, you know where to find the video from behind the gun. There is a camera on a low tripod visible on the right side of the stage- likely the one that captured the image, which is partially why the gun appears to be high. Somewhere, a little further back from the 180, and just out of the gun cam frame, is yours truly.

None of this matters though, because some people have such keen eyes and deep understanding they can tell everything they need to know from one frame.

I think its fair to discuss the topic. This could be a very positive and beneficial discussion that can help people transitioning into the competition world understand proper trigger discipline. Its kind of hard to have an honest discussion about it over all the noise.

I don't care if the trigger is 17 oz or 17 lbs. Safe gun handling is safe, and unsafe gun handling is not. There is no substitute for keeping the gun in a safe direction, and keeping your finger off the trigger unless you are engaging targets.

Paging John Hearne: Does the brain's ability to identify friend/foe or shoot/no-shoot come from training or our frontal cortex in a lethal encounter? In other words, regardless of how we trained and overlearned trigger control, are we fast enough to make a no-shoot decision and control our trigger finger?

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

And with that, I'm out.
    What do you mean you are "out"? I thought you wanted to discuss it?

(a) At least one of the pics of "me" that keeps getting put up isn't even me. I'm the guy holding the scoresheet who is dressed exactly like the guy from earlier.

What are the odds he was called?

What are the odds his safety is on?

What are the odds his trigger weighs more than 2.5#?

Todd, did you DQ the shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    This could be a very positive and beneficial discussion that can help people transitioning into the competition world understand proper trigger discipline.
    That is an interesting point. As a Timmy and a trainer of Timmies who has since begun shooting competitively in USPSA and GSSF, I can say with a glad heart that I have not felt an overriding need to modify my Timmy gunhandling practices to try to win the game. It doesn't seem necessary to me at all. Good gunhandling is good gunhandling.

The only partial exception to that is whether to take care to avoid muzzling no-shoots. Doing that is not going to win the game, but frankly that's also not different than the way I've seen multiple threats usually depicted and addressed in tactical training (with a lack of proximate no-shoots, and the multiple threats dealt with the same as target transitions in competition or other purely technical shooting.)

When the presence of no-shoots is represented in tactical training, there will be lots of times one can and should avoid muzzling the non-threats, but there will also be times that's not a practical option, which is frequently the physical situation represented in competition where you have no-shoots tightly nestled among threat targets. Lots and lots of (static) classical hostage shots depicted in competition.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Wait so... you think everyone who didn't agree with you doesnt understand proper trigger discipline?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Wait so... you think everyone who didn't agree with you doesnt understand proper trigger discipline?
    I'm guessing that was directed towards me, as I used the phrase proper trigger discipline.

What I said is that this could be a very positive and beneficial discussion about what proper trigger control is. I didn't say all y'all don't know trigger control and I know best.

I will say I don't think I saw any of you at stage 11 when "George" shot it, and I highly doubt the people "calling" are DNROI certified- if they are, they need a copy of the rulebook, and or to get out from behind the keyboard.

I still think this discussion could be a productive one. When is it appropriate to get on the trigger is a valid question. Calling something, you didn't see, is BS. Apparently, we've been bamboozled by body doubles but overlooking the finger on the trigger while the muzzle is at nearly 45 degrees to God's green earth seems to be inconsistent.

So when is it appropriate? Only after your wobble zone has settled onto the little dots that make up the A in the middle of the target? Or can you start on your DA pull while you are not quite sure what the bullet will impact because its a long, heavy pull?

Somewhere in between is the truth, and I think that is worth discussing. I disagree that trigger pull weight or mechanical safeties would alter what constitutes good gun handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I can say with a glad heart that I have not felt an overriding need to modify my Timmy gunhandling practices to try to win the game. It doesn't seem necessary to me at all. Good gunhandling is good gunhandling.
    Being devoid of Timmy knowledge, this is interesting to me.

On an El Prez, does your finger come off the trigger between targets?

User Tag List