Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss: Safety

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just to clarify, this wasn't from TGO. I figured this out months before I trained with Robbie.
    Fair enough. I've heard it from him before, and assumed. My fault.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I will put my opinion out there: Competition shooting is one of the most public things done by firearms owners. When we see someone with their finger indexed on the frame, such as the IDPA shooter in the African Mall incident, we crow about how good we are at safety. That is the way the public should see us. When we don't "appear" to be safe, it is a bad image and bad PR for the sport. It makes us look unprofessional. And, then when we defend it...we have the appearance of "trigger happy" gun owners. And, it serves as a poor example for new shooters. How do I get new shooters to keep their fingers off the trigger if they see people like this guy potentially violating the rule?
    So we should bend to accommodate what the LCD would get out of a random out of context picture? That means no muzzle up reloads because that is dangerous, no shooting on the move because that is dangerous, no shooting steel at less than 100 yards because that is dangerous, no shooting steel unless you have a 1 mile impact zone because that is dangerous etc etc...

There is a large majority here that believe in the press out, and I am sure that they would agree that you even need to know how to press out what shooting on the move.

That is basically what this open shooter is doing, he is moving the last bit into the shooting position, and pressing his gun out onto the target. When the red dot appears on the popper, he will break the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    So we should bend to accommodate what the LCD would get out of a random out of context picture? That means no muzzle up reloads because that is dangerous, no shooting on the move because that is dangerous, no shooting steel at less than 100 yards because that is dangerous, no shooting steel unless you have a 1 mile impact zone because that is dangerous etc etc...

There is a large majority here that believe in the press out, and I am sure that they would agree that you even need to know how to press out what shooting on the move.

That is basically what this open shooter is doing, he is moving the last bit into the shooting position, and pressing his gun out onto the target. When the red dot appears on the popper, he will break the shot.
    If we can train ourselves to be just as fast without taking shortcuts, and exhibit an image of better safety, what would be wrong with that? If we just wanted to be able to go as fast as we could, then why have any safety rules?...They just take up brain cells.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

If we can train ourselves to be just as fast without taking shortcuts, and exhibit an image of better safety, what would be wrong with that? If we just wanted to be able to go as fast as we could, then why have any safety rules?...They just take up brain cells.
    It isn't a short cut it is an accepted technique, one that the OP built his training program on. The photo just doesn't show how he is setting up on the target, not just randomly walking around with his finger on the target.

I am sure that no one here would argue that I should be DQ'd when I, a sandbagging production shooters, take up the slack on my M&Ps when I am setting up on a target. But when the open GM does it, it seems to be a big deal. He still likely has some slack on the trigger, even though it may not be much, but like a production shooter he wants to break the shot the moment his sights are on target.

If im not mistaken, before your finger touches the trigger on the press out, you see the sites

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    If im not mistaken, before your finger touches the trigger on the press out, you see the sites
    Not true for me or anyone else I know who does it "right".

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Depends on the school of thought. I came from the Gray Guns (now Opspec) school of thought. I start pressing the trigger the moment my hands come together.

Todd has a slightly different way.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Not true for me or anyone else I know who does it "right".
    Gotcha.

Originally Posted by PPGMD
    If we can train ourselves to be just as fast without taking shortcuts, and exhibit an image of better safety, what would be wrong with that?
    If we just wanted to be able to go as fast as we could, then why have any safety rules?...They just take up brain cells.
    Cody
    One can not train to be "just as fast" without doing what he's doing. One does not compete at a national championship event by erring on the side of going slower. As others have said if he's indexed on target as he's moving into position and literally a few hundredths of a second from breaking the shot then he's not doing anything unsafe nor is he violating the rules.

Claiming a photo of a finger on the trigger .05 seconds before the shot breaks portrays a poor image of safety is a little overboard. Who are we worried about offending with said poor image of safety, the anti-gunners?

A person can justifiably argue that trying to shave a tenth off "on the street" at the expense of safety is a fools errand and they'd be correct. That has nothing to do with what the pictured shooter is doing on a closed course that he's walked through and knows where each footfall is, where each target is and how to best address it.

Curious, does anyone have any high speed frames of people shooting a variety of guns and showing the recoil of each and where the muzzle points during the cycle?
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List