Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss: Safety

Define "safe direction" in your mind.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Define "safe direction" in your mind.
    I suppose, on a very basic level, where firing a shot would not result in potentially destroying anything I do not want to destroy. Shooting over the berm, at pretty much any range, will result in you being asked to leave, as the bullet is traveling unrestricted outside of the shooting area.

To imply that all USPSA shooters put their fingers on the trigger early, is no more accurate than suggesting all police officers muzzle people with their fingers on the trigger. Certainly some in each group do, but that is neither desirable nor necessarily standard practice.

In my testing, the difference between firing an initial shot on the draw fully prepped versus starting with my finger just lightly contacting the trigger face is .05. However, starting just lightly touching is significantly more accurate for me, making the .05 delta a win for me.

Lots of USPSA shooters have sub 2 pound triggers, and they and RO's are not keen on early loud noises.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    wasn't directed specifically at you.
    Thanks for clarifying.

can you comment on the other images?
    No. Some of it might be askew, but I'm not interested in hyper-analyzing it. I simply don't care enough. My interest in this thread doesn't go far beyond the first picture, and I don't care what discipline he's shooting.

For me, it's not about finding examples of people doing something which may or may not be wrong, and claiming they should have been DQ'd. My interest is about what I can take-away and improve. I'm sure I need to be more careful with muzzle control and trigger control. It's something I should work on more often, like everything else. I'm sure I screw it up, and I'm sure there are videos of it on the internet.

Mike, I think we are gonna have to agree to disagree with what we think when it comes to the trigger finger.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    None

It is not on from what I can call

pretty likely.

great example of poor gun handling.

Without the context of the picture, I shouldn't of said poor gun handling.

We are diminished
    (a) At least one of the pics of "me" that keeps getting put up isn't even me. I'm the guy holding the scoresheet who is dressed exactly like the guy from earlier.

(b) I've been DQd from two matches. One was a USPSA match very early in my shooting career where I did the traditional "sweep absolutely everyone on the range" thing by drawing my gun way too early on the spin for an El Prez. The second was at a major IDPA event where I got kicked for having a gun that just barely didn't fit in the IDPA box; it was later determined that the box was out of spec.

(c) I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how this thread became a discussion about whether the "Super Squad" does press-outs or not. Well, obviously a lot of us do know how that happened, but it has nothing to do with anything germane to the original point or any of the regulars on the forum.

(d) The fact that there are people trying desperately to justify running around with finger on trigger simply proves my point.

And with that, I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Are you just referring to the draw or a presentation after movement, as the shooter appears to be doing in the image? Keeping the gun high as you enter a setup and "pressing out" along a relatively straight line is what most high level competitors do, especially when shooting iron sights.
    What we refer to as mounting the gun maybe what you are referring to in this instance is a "press out".

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    (a) At least one of the pics of "me" that keeps getting put up isn't even me. I'm the guy holding the scoresheet who is dressed exactly like the guy from earlier.

(b) I've been DQd from two matches. One was a USPSA match very early in my shooting career where I did the traditional "sweep absolutely everyone on the range" thing by drawing my gun way too early on the spin for an El Prez. The second was at a major IDPA event where I got kicked for having a gun that just barely didn't fit in the IDPA box; it was later determined that the box was out of spec.

(c) I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how this thread became a discussion about whether the "Super Squad" does press-outs or not. Well, obviously a lot of us do know how that happened, but it has nothing to do with anything germane to the original point or any of the regulars on the forum.

(d) The fact that there are people trying desperately to justify running around with finger on trigger simply proves my point.

And with that, I'm out.
    I don't think anyone is justifying running around with their finger on the trigger. I can assure you, from my experience shooting this very stage in the OP, that the shooter was planted and engaging a popper. At no time is is OK to run around with your finger on the trigger. That stage had 3 positions and was 14 rounds. The stage winner shot in in under 7 seconds.

I do find it funny that someone who shoots for a living with a "space" or "race" gun on a closed competition course gets crucified as unsafe,
    I don't think anyone is crucifying the shooter. The OP's point was to ask if competition trigger habits are degrading our ability to be safe after we walk out of the range. And, I think Darryl summed that up nicely.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List