Thread: 1911 Sight Question

1911 Sight Question

I have a Springfield LW Operator, 5"bbl., that wears the factory Novak-style night sights. I've put about ~500 rounds through it and this has been with a wide variety of ammo, Gold Dot, Federal Champion, Speer Lawman, Winchester WWB, Blazer (Brass and Aluminum), and Fiocchi, all factory loaded 230gr. I've noticed that the POI is much higher than the POA. This seems to occur with any ammo and at every distance I've shot from 25 yds and closer. Now I know, the usual shooter error suspicions, but my groups are centered and tight. For instance yesterday I did some 2" dot drills at 7, 10 and 15 yds. My rounds were all collected in a golf ball sized group but approximately 2-3" above my POA, using a "drive the dot" sight picture. I adjusted my POA to a 6 o'clock hold but I was still hitting just the top edge of the 2" circle.
    Everything I found during google searches resulted mostly with people shooting too low, not high.

I've been contemplating ording a 10-8 rear sight and they come in two height sizes, .325" (standard) and .375" (tall). According to 10-8's site, S/A 1911s can come with either height from thefactory. I've tried to measure my sight and it looks to be .375" tall so I thought I might order the standard .325" and see if the shorter rear sight lowers my POI a little.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

You should be able to contact 10-8 and explain your issue. I would think they could set you up with the appropriate height rear sight as well as one of their front sights of the appropriate height to solve your problem.

That's what I would do. No personal experience with 10-8, but at least discussing your needs with them should open the door for a solution, and in the event the front and rear sight combination doesn't work when you install it, you can call them back to the conversation you had prior to purchase.

I've got an excel spreadsheet from my smith with various calculators on it. One of them is for making sight adjustments, based on sight radius, distance, and amount of error. Send me an email address and I'll forward it off.

Thanks guys!

My CS experience with springer has been excellent. I would call them, I bet you get an RMA or at least a taller front sight in the mail. If nothing else, I would just replace the fs with a taller one.
    Ignore Alien Orders

My TRP was shooting 8 inches high at 25 yards with factory Trijicon night sights when I first got it. Called Springfield and they sent me a lower rear sight at no charge. It's now the only auto I own that shoots exactly where I aim it.

User Tag List