Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Estimated difference in split times 9mm vs .40S&W

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Estimated difference in split times 9mm vs .40S&W

As Mythbusters taught us, the difference between science and screwing around is writing stuff down.

So, I've now got a P229 in 9mm (.380 long) and one with both a .40 barrel and .357 sig barrel. I have yet to shoot the 9mm.

My split times right now with the P229 in .40 are right at .33-35 seconds at 5-7 yds. That's basically the same as my P220 in .45. So, I'm wondering how much recoil is playing. Obviously the P220 vs P229 is not a perfect comparison, but now that I've got two of the same gun differing only in caliber...science time.

Any guesses on what, if any, improvement in split times I should see between factory 180gr .40 loads vs, say 115gr 9mm loads?

I see no difference in my splits with a G19 and a G22. Not exactly apples to apples...
    C Class shooter.

I don't think anyone else can answer this for you -- you will just need to see for yourself. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if your splits are the same, if you are accustomed to shooting the .40 and .45 to a certain pace. If you shoot the 9 barrel a lot, that may change your splits, and that might carry over to the same pistol with the .40 barrel.

Leaving aside curiosity in the differences, I would disregard splits, and focus on stopping the gun, aiming and jerking the trigger straight back. What time that takes you, and it will vary with the size and distance of the target, is the right split time for you.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My splits are very close together, shooting 5" circle at 5-7 yards, when using my G19 and G23. G19 best splits are in the .16-.18 range; G23 splits at about .17-.2 range - close enough to be not worth mentioning. Move to the G26 versus G27, and it gets dramatic - the G26 can stay very close to the G19; the G27 opens the splits up to the .3ish range (or, nearly twice as long for recovery compared to its 9mm sibling).

Now, with anyone in a gunfight know the difference between two shots delivered 1.25 & 1.41 seconds apart versus 1.25 seconds and 1.55 seconds apart? Probably not, BUT, you can see how the difference progresses rapidly as additional follow-up shots are fired...

With the P229, a heavy pistol with a HEAVY slide, I doubt you'll see that much of a difference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't think anyone else can answer this for you -- you will just need to see for yourself.
    I'm clear. I just like to see what folks believe will happen, including me, and then see what the numbers say. It seems like one of the things "they" say when "they" are expounding on the virtues of the 9mm is faster followup shots. I'll want to see the numbers for myself, but the nerd in my likes to have a hypothesis to test.

Sounds like you already had the answer to your question when you talk about "they". Please come back and show us your numbers. We await with bated breath.

^^Dude, maybe I am too sensitive tonight, but you sound unnecessarily hostile.

On a very recent testing of a 9mm P30 vs .45 1911 my split difference was about 0.03 at I hope I hit it speed, and around 0.07 at I'd be disappointed I didn't hit it speed.

In regards to 0.40, I used to buy a box of it once a year, rent a G23, and go see if I got it now. I stopped doing it 'cause I ain't got it, I am not even interested in measuring my 0.40 splits, and I would need to be paid to shoot one in a carry size.

Our range is generally open shooting on Fridays, but this Friday its closed for recruit training. It'll probably be next Friday before I can test. When our range is closed I go to an indoor range but they don't allow rapid fire.

I personally see about a .05 difference in split times between 9mm and .40. I think the split time doesn't tell the whole story though. I have to work much harder on controlling the gun to get my .40 S&W splits that low, whereas with 9mm it just seems to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    I personally see about a .05 difference in split times between 9mm and .40. I think the split time doesn't tell the whole story though. I have to work much harder on controlling the gun to get my .40 S&W splits that low, whereas with 9mm it just seems to happen.
    That's pretty good info. That's been my experience with Glocks. I can do ok with them, but it takes a lot more work on my part to do things that feel much more natural with a Sig. It makes perfect sense to me that caliber could have the same effect.

Thanks for the feedback.

Side note: Is there any real difference between 115gr and 124gr?

User Tag List