Thread: Striker channel cleaning on a new semi auto???

Striker channel cleaning on a new semi auto???

Bought a new Taurus Millenium G2 9mm. On a forum other than this one, I got into a discussion with a gent about the "necessity" of pulling the striker out of its channel and cleaning out all of the "packing grease". He said it is a must. I asked him to show me the page number in the manual where this is necessary. He couldn't. To me, if there's "packing grease" in the channel and that needs to be cleaned out before using the gun, then Taurus ought to provide chapter & verse. I go by: "If it's not broke, don't fix it". What do you guys say? I think there's lube put in the channel from the factory for a purpose, but to call it "packing grease" and that it needs to be removed gets people messing with their guns that may lead to a problem.

Site Supporter
    In general, striker channels should be dry, there shouldn't be any lube in the channel.

They should also be cleaned periodically, perhaps every few thousand rounds. You should do it sooner if you have issues with piercing primers or other odd ammo issues.

I can't speak to the Taurus guns, but on many other guns what people think is a "lube point" is not. If Taurus has a bit on that in the manual then OK, but I'd check and not go by visual "I think that looks like..."...

Most striker fired guns need a dry channel to work right. LAPD had some famous issues after troops new to Glocks were dumping oil down the little debris ejection hole in the firing pin channel.

If you don't want to take the gun apart, GunScrubber works really well fro flushing such areas on most guns.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Thanks for the replies. Took it out shooting yesterday for the first time and no problems. I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

A co-worker purchased a G2 during one of the $199 deals going on awhile back. Cleaned it thoroughly as you normally would and took it to the range. He experienced several light strikes during that session.

He took it home and took a peak inside the striker channel. It was gummed up with grease and firing residue. After cleaning it, he hasn't had anymore light strikes.
    Last edited by 396; 05-02-2015 at 08:44 PM.

User Tag List