Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new DHS pistol solicitation is out.

new DHS pistol solicitation is out.

In case you haven't seen it yet, this has been posted to the GSA website regarding the solicitation for the new pistol....

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=0

In the solicitation they request:
    Polymer frame
    Striker fired
    15 round min capacity
    9mm only (NO .40)
    and much more...
    "The slide shall not return to battery by the action of inserting a loaded magazine into the firearm"
    "The discharged cartridge shall not eject in a manner that hits the shooter upon firing the firearm"
    "The firearm shall be operated by a right or left handed shooter without permanent modification"
    "The frame shall have an integrated rail section that accepts the streamlight TRL-1 light"
    " The sights shall include 3-dot tritium night sights with the front dot being a different color than the rear dots. Additionally, the front sight shall have photo luminescent paint to assist in rapid sight acquisition"

Looks like the Glock, FNS, Beretta APX, Sig p320, M&P, an VP9 are on deck to compete. (did I miss any others?)

As far as testing:
    15 guns and 52 mags per model submitted.
    9 firearms shall be tested with 10,000 rounds per firearm in 250 round strings of fire.
    3 of the 9 will have TRL-1 attached for the full 10,000 rounds.

It will take a long time for this to play out. But it will be interesting to watch.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

new DHS pistol solicitation is out.

Never mind. Just read the proposal.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 03-30-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: read first. speak later - if warranted

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    DHS is HUGE! Who will these pistols go to?
    The solicitation says they're for ICE (ice baby).

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    "The slide shall not return to battery by the action of inserting a loaded magazine into the firearm"
    That's weird. How are they going to evaluate that? You seat a magazine a certain way and a Glock will return to battery. M&Ps do that easily, and I'm guessing other semi-autos will as well.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    I haven't noticed the VP9 pistols I've shot and observed do any auto-forwarding....yet.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    That's weird. How are they going to evaluate that? You seat a magazine a certain way and a Glock will return to battery. M&Ps do that easily, and I'm guessing other semi-autos will as well.
    I am guessing the problem will be easily solved with a little stiffer slide lock spring. I assume they just don't want people to rely on this as a means to load the pistol.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Some designs are more prone to auto forwarding than others. I don't think this is lost on the people who wrote the solicitation.

I know a guy that works for ICE. They're currently authorized to carry a bazillion different pistols right now. I'm curious to hear his thoughts on this.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I know a guy that works for ICE. They're currently authorized to carry a bazillion different pistols right now. I'm curious to hear his thoughts on this.
    IIRC, isn't their standard issue the P229 DAK? Last time I went through a customs check point with actual armed ICE agents, I saw mostly P229s and a smattering of HKs.

My M&P did it most of the time. I've seen it only occasionally in one or two of my G17s but I don't think I've ever seen it in some of the 19s or my 26. My 320 FS did it just a couple times in 800 rounds. My 1911 will do it but something is f'd up with it's slide lock engagement right now.

They could eval all the guns for his by being gentle with the reload and get through that testing smoothly. Cooperate and graduate!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List