Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SP101 in .327 Fed Mag

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    10mm cut for moonclips, brah.
    Abso-damn-lutely! Make it a Wiley Clapp type with 3.5- & 5-in. Bbl options; and 5-shot SP-101 versions would be the very teats as well!

Return of the Necropost!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    I was hoping for a 6-shot LCR with a 2 inch barrel.
    Ruger Releases LCR in .327 Federal Magnum | Gun Digest
    1.85" barrel, so you'd have to round up. but six shots.

Trying to figure out if the Ruger Rep I talked to at NRAAM that shrugged off the suggestion of an LCR in .327 Federal by saying "It's need a 3 inch barrel" was full of shit, or trying to be coy about coming developments.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

For those that like the .327, how does it compare to .357/38 for recoil. My wife is pretty recoil sensitive, and this has the potential to be interesting.

I've shot my friend's SP101 4 inch gun in .327. Heavy pistol for its' size and the recoil is damned stout and muzzle blast to match. I would say a bit worse than a .38 +P load. Unless downloaded with .32 wadcutters this is not a good choice for the recoil sensitive.

I always liked the idea of the .327 in the single six platform. The single seven and the 4" gp100 should have been offered from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Well start blogging for a .41 magnum GP100 Match Champion would you?
    I'll take one of each. Plus one of each in a 3" WC.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Well start blogging for a .41 magnum GP100 Match Champion would you?
    Given recent developments and discussion thereof, this cracks me up.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Given recent developments and discussion thereof, this cracks me up.
    Right? Which reminds me, I need to email Paul.

So the .327 is skinny, but dang that thing is deceptive. Kinda tolerable for short duration in my LCR. What I love is the flexibility of all the .32s you can shoot. Hope they make the SP in a 2” version!! Just passed on a local used 3” for 425.00 Kicking self!

I stopped by a local gun store today, and there was a used SP-101 3-inch in .327 Federal Magnum on the shelf. Not the current version, this is the 2007-2008 version with the drift-adjustable rear sight and the black grips. A couple of minor cosmetic scuffs, allegedly only 50 rounds through it. Because it had been sitting on the shelf since late March, the owner was willing to deal and I got it for about $200 under what a brand new one would have cost. Worth taking a chance at that price. Now I just need to sit out the infernal California 10-day waiting period... oh well, plenty of time to order some ammo. I'll have it on June 4 and barring any schedule surprises will take it to the range that same night.

I'm seeing this as an occasional woods gun and a range toy for now, but I do like the way it feels in the hand. My only other Ruger at the moment is a GP-100 Match Champion which just doesn't quite fit my hands comfortably with the factory grips. I'm looking forward to trying out the smaller (and 10 ounces lighter) SP-101.

A guy at a different LGS is a fan of .327 Federal Magnum and always stocks at least a couple of varieties on the shelf. I'll order a wider range though, including some .32 S&W Long wadcutters and try out a few different loads.
    Last edited by Salamander; 05-24-2018 at 11:18 PM.

User Tag List