Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 340 No Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pipes View Post
    Gregg I have a pair of 642's with the XS big dot installed by Clark Custom Guns in Princeton La. If I remember right it was about $100 ea 4 or 5 years ago...cya mike
    I've read that the 340 has a U shaped rear site. Is it different from a 442/642?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

There are two types of front sights on J-frames. One is a pinned sight where the barrel has a cut milled with a pin that holds the sight in place and the other is integral to the barrel. The latter was not intended to be serviced and AFAIK requires removing the sight and either milling in a mounting such as a dove tail, or attaching a new sight with an appropriate adhesive procedure. When I last looked at XS tritium sights for J-frames, they had three models. RV-0001N-4 0180 and he RV-0001N-3 .205 for pinned sights and the SW-0020N-3 which is epoxied after the old sight is removed.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 04-01-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I've read that the 340 has a U shaped rear site. Is it different from a 442/642?
    Yes, it's deeper and rounded at the bottom like a true "U" in the frame. Much better than the standard notch on the 442/642. If you go to their web site and click on the 360 view you can see it pretty well.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

You can Google it also and find some pics.

Thanks for the info LT. I couldn't get a good enough picture to really tell if there was a difference.

Site Supporter
    I believe the Ruger LCR in .38 weighs less than the 642, and is close in weight to the 340pd. However I am not sure how much bigger the LCR is size wise.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Hey what are your guys thoughts on a M&P340 with Gold Dot 135 Gr. +P Vs. a Glock 43 or Ruger LCR 9mm loaded with a modern duty round?

Interested in one of these options as a backup weapon to be carried in a pant pocket.

Nuttin carries like a J frame....cya mike
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    Hey what are your guys thoughts on a M&P340 with Gold Dot 135 Gr. +P Vs. a Glock 43 or Ruger LCR 9mm loaded with a modern duty round?

Interested in one of these options as a backup weapon to be carried in a pant pocket.
    The 43 is a little easier to carry. It's flatter obviously and works really well in cargo shorts. The J frame is still easier to draw from a pocket. It's also easier to make a j frame not look like a gun in a pocket. Hope that makes sense.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    The 43 is a little easier to carry. It's flatter obviously and works really well in cargo shorts. The J frame is still easier to draw from a pocket. It's also easier to make a j frame not look like a gun in a pocket. Hope that makes sense.
    That does make sense. Although I just heard we are getting external carries by October. The Blauer ones that looklike a uniform shirt. They have a napoleon pocket hidden behind the front top flap pockets. A 43 looks made for that kind of pocket. ...but I have always wanted a M&P 340

340 No Lock

Me too. I've yet to find one I'm willing to drop the cash on though. I came this close to selling a P220 and buying one. It's my last Sig though but rarely gets shot. The 340 would at least get shot and carried. Decisions.

User Tag List