Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 340 No Lock

As usual LSP972, good observations. I pretty much live in Duluth Firehose pants and shorts. My 642 pocket rig fits perfect in the support cargo pocket and I barely notice it. The 340 should be totally unnoticeable with its reduced weight. I have plenty of J frames to practice with so the 340 can fill the carry a lot, shoot a little role.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

340 No Lock

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    In regards to the weight savings question... are you looking at the stainless cylinder version, or the titanium cylinder version? Give the price differential you mentioned, I suspect the latter.

For pocket carry, the three or so less ounces of the Ti-Scan (titanium cylinder/scandium frame) example makes a huge difference over the course of a day. I never would have believed that; until I began carrying one. The story of how I got there is interesting, though not germane here; but after many, many years of wearing my BUG on my ankle, I began carrying it in the off side pocket. At first, it was my trusty old M-642. Then, I bought a M-360PD (I whacked the hammer spur to prevent snags, etc.)... and was amazed. Nothing else to say, except that you really won't believe it until you try it for yourself.

I bought that M-360PD in 2002, and except for a brief period in 2007, have carried it daily. It looks it, too... but it soldiers on, and far as I'm concerned is TOTALLY superior to the latest/greatest .380 whatever, for the stated purpose.

Aside from the larcenous selling price, the only real drawback to the Ti-Scan revolvers is the fact that one has to be VERY careful with that titanium cylinder if you shoot the gun much. But that is a topic for another thread.

Oh... and they are simply painful to shoot, recoil-wise. But I've tried just about everything, and IMO nothing else comes close for a concealable, user-friendly, and relatively comfortable-to-carry pocket gun. This assumes, of course, a proper pocket holster and trouser pockets. IOW, relatively deep pockets, yet roomy ones that you can slip (as opposed to having to jam) your hand into.

IOW, there is more to successful pocket carry than selecting your piece...

I have not seen a 340PD for less than $1000. I've never seen a no lock PD in person but I know they are out there.

Smith lists the standard 340 as 2 ounces lighter than the 442/642. I would be curious if someone could weigh both and verify if that is true.

Quantico lists the first responder price on 340's as $650. I sent them an email and verified that they are listing the no lock version. The best price I've found locally is $700. I'm still looking but I doubt I'll be able to find one cheaper.
    Last edited by MGW; 03-30-2015 at 03:07 PM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    It is a gun that will likely never see a .357 magnum. Those are what you shoot in Ruger's.....;-).
    Agreed.

After shooting every single premium commercial .357 Magnum load I could find, from Federal, Winchester and Speer (Gold Dot) in 110gr, 125gr and 158gr, through my two 340PDs several years ago (minimum of 20 rounds per load), I determined that not only are .357 Magnum loads downright unpleasant to shoot in these little lightweight guns, but more importantly, NONE of the .357 Magnum loads are as accurate and precise in these dinky guns as certain of the better .38 Special loads, e.g., the Gold Dot "Short Barrel" 135gr+P in .38 Special.

Follow-up shots are slow in any case, the more so with .357 Magnum loads, but more significantly, the precision of the .357 loads was poor by comparison. Maybe it was my hold that was inconsistent, but I don't think so, and I'm not bothered by felt recoil. These little lightweight J-Frames just aren't the ticket for shooting .357 Magnum, IME.

OTOH, my Ruger SP101s never see a .38 Special round.
    158gr .357 Magnum prints to POA in these, and that's all I care about, though I rarely carry them.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I have not seen a 340PD for less than $1000. I've never seen a no lock PD in person but I know they are out there.

Smith lists the standard 340 as 2 ounces lighter than the 442/642. I would be curious if someone could weigh both and verify if that is true.

Quantico lists the first responder price on 340's as $650. I sent them an email and verified that they are listing the no lock version. The best price I've found locally is $700. I'm still looking but I doubt I'll be able to find one cheaper.
    To me the 340PD was worth the price premium. The front sight and light weight would cost more to add to a 442 than the 340PD cost me and I like the idea that the 340PD is rated for magnums even though I'll never shoot them. I thought about getting one of the titanium-cylinder models but in the end I didn't want to worry about scratching it and deadlining the gun. With Spegel's boot grips it carries niiice in the pocket. FWIW G&R Tactical has them for $675.
    Last edited by Super77; 03-30-2015 at 07:20 PM.

I had a 340 M&P a few years ago, but ended up selling it. I didn't find it to be a real practical platform to launch .357 magnums from and found myself kind of babying it due to having spent so much on it and that didn't make much sense with it bring a pocket gun/BUG. I also actually didn't like the big dot night sight. I'm firmly in the minority with that opinion, but I found it somewhat distracting in low light and at the distances I envision employing this gun, I didn't really see the better sights an actual advantage. I've got a 642 now that I've been very content with. Just my two cents, YMMV.

Bud's has no lock 340's for $625 under their qualified professional plan.

Those couple of ounces aren't worth that much to me. I'll just deal with my heavy 442.

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post

Those couple of ounces aren't worth that much to me. I'll just deal with my heavy 442.

JR1572
    It's the pinned, and easily replaced, front sight not the weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    It's the pinned, and easily replaced, front sight not the weight.
    I'm glad you brought that up. What sight options are available? XS, FO, and red plastic? Am I missing any?

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    There are a dozen or so no lock 340PDs (SKU: 103061) on Gunbroker under $900 right including a couple with Buy Now prices under $800:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=475269529

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=475168705
    True. I'm not really a gunbroker fan. I like having my hands on it before I buy. Quantico is local(ish) and they come with the tritium front. I realize they aren't PD's but I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post

JR1572
    For me the front sight is the biggest reason for me. A little lighter is a bonus.

User Tag List