Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shot a HK Squeeze Cocker: P7M8

Shot a HK Squeeze Cocker: P7M8

...Actually two of them.

Unbenownst to me, it turns out a close family member has a bunch of H&K pistols and he brought them to the range yesterday for our range session with my VP9 for me to have a go. Among the set of guns he brought (which included a USP 45 and a USP 9mm Compact) was his single and double stack P7s (P7M8 and P7M13, if I have the nomenclature right.)

First time ever shooting one of these; actually I'd never seen one before, so it was pretty cool.

I'm not sure I liked the squeeze cocker aspect of the grip, but boy it was accurate. I gather the barrel is fixed to the frame, and recoil is managed by the blow-back system.

(It did get a little hot, even after just a couple magazines. )

Gun felt heavy (duh) and the trigger was very crisp and light, compared to my M&P/VP9.

It was a pretty interesting experience for me, being new to guns and all that.

I owned one of the Euro mag release PSP (P7) for a spell. Pretty amazing pistol. I wouldn't want to build my battery and training around it but it was pretty amazing to shoot.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I had picked up a P7 PSP some years ago when they first started showing up as used West German police pistols. I rarely take it out, but it is very unique. The recoil signature is very fast and flat, and as you mentioned, the pistol is a laser beam. I have to send mine to HK to have a spring replaced, but it's a keeper.

The P7M8 was the first gun I ever bought, back in 1985.

Precision and accuracy outclassing pretty much any other handgun, but they DO get hot after a few dozen rounds, right beneath the gas piston chamber, where your trigger finger sits!
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I've owned a number of P7M8s over the years, and, they're still on my short list of "all time favorites." It's a shame that HK stopped producing them, though I understand the financial reasons for them doing so. Actually, it's probably a good thing, or I'd be tempted to add the M8 to my "approved personal weapons list" and then end up carrying that critter around every now and again just for "cool points."

While the trigger doesn't compare to a nice 1911 trigger, it is much better than any other striker fired factory trigger I've felt, and, as you experienced, the accuracy is simply phenomenal.

Don't try to check one out for yourself unless you're ready for some SERIOUS sticker shock - like 3-5 times as much as a VP9...

I have one left, it'll stay in my safe and be handed down to the luckiest of my kids one day.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    The P7M8 was the first gun I ever bought, back in ...
    ...2004 for me.

Sold it about two years ago. A neat piece, but for me the cons eventually outweighed the pros.

My bride and I have carried P7s every day since 1985.
    The GSG9 requirements for the original gun did not contemplate high volume range sessions.
    I have an M13 as well. During training I use both guns due to the gas cylinder heat issues, shooting one while the other cools.
    We also find the 24 pound recoil spring to be an issue with arthritic hands.
    We just got a VP9 and like it very much, but for concealment the P7 wins hand down.
    Shumba

HK P7PSP was the only pistol I sold, literally the day after I bought/shot it for the first time. Between the squeeze cocking and the manual of arms, it is "too special" for my taste but does make a good collectible.

I had one of the butt mag release ones in 1984. It was very reliable and neat in a different mechanism sort of way. I once took apart the squeeze cock mechanism and polished some contact points. I will NEVER do that again. I did get it back together properly.

Fast forward to owning 4 P7 M8s and having 2 down with broken parts in light use. 1 left side mag release broke, 1 squeeze cocking mechanism broken. I had not messed with these 4 at all other than Trijicon sights.
    Sold all 4 and 20 plus mags and replaced them with P200SK LEM 9mms. No regrets.

Thanks all, very interesting comments.

I don't aspire to own one, but it sure was interesting to shoot; kind of like having a bit of history in your very own hands.

User Tag List