Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting explanation of libertarianism

Interesting explanation of libertarianism

http://reason.com/archives/2015/03/29/how-many-rights

Where the right to be free from aggression is shown to preclude any other rights. Would love to hear counter arguments.

The original work also builds a case for libertarian style property rights upon the assertion that theft is aggression.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I don't think that is very practical given that human nature is aggression. Rather I would say that liberty (and thus libertarianism) is the right to recourse, be it legal or physical, against aggression.

Libertarianism works when everybody is nice. When people decide not to be nice, it quickly shows its fundamental flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Libertarianism works when everybody is nice. When people decide not to be nice, it quickly shows its fundamental flaws.
    Can you cite some examples of this?

Do we have libertarianism now?

It'd really be your thoughts on the matter, since I was asking about your opinion.

No, and we never will. Our Founding Fathers were not libertarianians and our Constitution, while embracing some libertarian principles, gives the State's broad powers of aggression against us. Take a look at Federalist 45 and note what Madison said about the powers of the Federal and State governments:

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite.
    I'm not a libertarian because being one in the US means being perpetually frustrated by the surroundings.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Hey now.

I know everyone's been brainwash, er, sorry I meant taught from birth that "democracy" is the best form of government in the whole wide world, but at age 42 I'm not so sure that passes the sniff test.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I don't think that is very practical given that human nature is aggression. Rather I would say that liberty (and thus libertarianism) is the right to recourse, be it legal or physical, against aggression.
    Libertarianism works so long as everyone plays by the rules.

Judging by the characters found at my small town court, the ratio of people playing by the rules versus those who do not is rapidly decreasing. Libertarianism is another form of utopia.

Perhaps this is too cynical for a 27 year old to say, but the best form of government we can hope for is a benign tyranny. Too much liberty means the subhuman scum run without bounds. Too little, and the subhuman scum get government jobs.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Hey now.

I know everyone's been brainwash, er, sorry I meant taught from birth that "democracy" is the best form of government in the whole wide world, but at age 42 I'm not so sure that passes the sniff test.
    Would you believe that I married a GAP - Greek American Princess. Every four years I have to convince my fresh out of the village Greek mother in law to vote GOP instead of Democrat because she thinks that the later stands for democracy. I gave up trying to convince the old bag that democracy is not a good thing. Oh well, the Greeks as a culture never have been all that good at picking a government.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List