Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA IDPA Match Schedule and Information

There are still slots for the Tuesday match, and I will have at least one scenario stage, if we have time after doing classifiers.
    I still need one SO for the evening slot as my regular SO is out of town. Please let me know if you want to volunteer and shoot for free.
    I also need setup help at 3:30PM. PM me or email NRAIDPA@verizon.net if you have the time to help.
    Thanks,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Online Registration is closed. We have 21 shooters registered including our Safety Officers.
    I will set up the scenario stage but there may not be time. Maybe I can make it short enough.

Setup crew arrive by 3:30PM and shoot for free.

5PM Squad
    If you do not have a NRA Range card, please arrive at 4PM to get the range test and card. If you do have one, arrive at 4:30.

7:30 Squad
    If you do not have a NRA Range card, please arrive at 6:30PM to get the range test and card. If you do have one, arrive at 7PM.

I will allow for two more walk-ons. Please call the NRA Range if you are cancelling or wish to walk on.
    See you tomorrow.
    Cody Claxton
    Match Director.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Results are posted here: https://practiscore.com/results.php?...8-c242c68c19f9

Special thanks to Brian T and Jacqueline S and Ben Streifel for being Safety Officers, and for those who ran practiscore.

I apologize that the match ran late and I appreciate the feedback that we should not break up strings. My goal was to save time while shooters manage mags, but we lost too much time going back and forth. But we got 19 people classified so we did accomplish something .

Congrats to Josh, Jordan and Duane for taking the top three spots running the Bill Drill.

Also, thanks to the NRA Range Staff for running practiscore and staying late to get it finished. And, thanks to John, Brian, and NRA Staff for assisting with setup and teardown.

Please PM me if you have any suggestions and feedback. We want your experience to be positive, and it takes feedback and work to make that happen.

Cody Claxton
    Match Director.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Results are posted here: https://practiscore.com/results.php?...8-c242c68c19f9

Special thanks to Brian T and Jacqueline S and Ben Streifel for being Safety Officers, and for those who ran practiscore.

I apologize that the match ran late and I appreciate the feedback that we should not break up strings. My goal was to save time while shooters manage mags, but we lost too much time going back and forth. But we got 19 people classified so we did accomplish something .

Congrats to Josh, Jordan and Duane for taking the top three spots running the Bill Drill.

Also, thanks to the NRA Range Staff for running practiscore and staying late to get it finished. And, thanks to John, Brian, and NRA Staff for assisting with setup and teardown.

Please PM me if you have any suggestions and feedback. We want your experience to be positive, and it takes feedback and work to make that happen.

Cody Claxton
    Match Director.
    Great match last night - thanks to everyone for the tremendous effort they put in to make this run. Cody I appreciated how organized you were with the materials and safety briefing. Had a great time shooting with everyone, and looking forward to another round next month!

After discussion and consultation with Safety Officers and the NRA Range, I am going to place a restriction on Serpa-style holsters with the button on the side of the holster for IDPA Matches held there.

Safariland is making a new holster that claims to support 175 different firearms; http://www.safariland.com/paddle/mod...8P8HAQ&start=1

Serpa styles include these:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=serp...g&ved=0CB0QsAQ

I will allow an exception for active duty Law Enforcement and active duty military (if you have a combat rold).

Thanks,
    Cody Claxton
    NRA IDPA Match Director.

So that was my introduction to IDPA - I definitely enjoyed the match and I'll try to show up for future matches.

I did take some video of the bill drill and classifier - definitely lets me see some things that need improvement and what I spent the most time doing. Eye-opener in a lot of ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okqq_fQk2Gg

Cody-

I enjoyed myself at the match. We did discuss things that could use improvement after the match with Debbie et. al., and I look forward to attending the next one!

-Kent
    "WHAT?!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW RIDICULOUS YOUR GUN IS!" - TLG

Site Supporter
    Cody, thanks for putting on an excellent match. I thought the way you came up with running the classifier was probably the most efficient way to use the available range space.

Just a thought, but if you are prohibiting the SERPA because you believe it presents a safety issue (I obviously agree), then why would you create an exemption? Think about how that would appear if someone did have an accident with a SERPA in the future. It doesn't look good that you allowed someone to use a holster that you believed was unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Cody, thanks for putting on an excellent match. I thought the way you came up with running the classifier was probably the most efficient way to use the available range space.

Just a thought, but if you are prohibiting the SERPA because you believe it presents a safety issue (I obviously agree), then why would you create an exemption? Think about how that would appear if someone did have an accident with a SERPA in the future. It doesn't look good that you allowed someone to use a holster that you believed was unsafe.
    Josh,
    Good point. As with anything, it comes down to training and operation and I figured that LEO's would be sufficiently trained. But to set a good example and to retain consistency, it would be best to have a single policy without exception. From this point forward SERPA's are prohibited at IDPA matches at the NRA club.

Thanks for speaking up.
    Cody

I still have slots open for this Sunday, April 26 for the Thurmont IDPA Match from 10AM-2:30PM.
    6-8 stages, 110 rounds. Register at: https://clubs.practiscore.com/thurmo...match/register

Maryland has a sporting exception for pistol competitions. You may bring any mags and IDPA legal pistols into Maryland for the purposes of competing. They must be carried per Title 18, USC (unloaded, bagged/cased, ammo separate).

TCSC has nine action bays, up to 50 yards deep, and many bays have 3 sided berms. We operate a cold range, and you should always arrive with your guns unloaded. If you are an LEO or other person authorized to carry in Maryland, you may arrive hot but we will unload your gun in preparation for the event. Do not unload or load your gun except under the supervision of a safety officer. Maryland law has a sporting exception for handgun competitions, so any handgun that is legal for you to shoot in IDPA, you may transport into Maryland for sporting purposes. See Maryland State Police Firearm Transportation and Maryland Criminal Statutes. And on Magazines you may not purchase or transfer high capacity, but you may bring them in and use them Transport your firearms per USC Title 18 (Ammo separate from gun and gun in separate case or bag.) This is not legal advice, laws can change abruptly, so we take no responsibility for your actions. TCSC is located at: 11617 Hunt Club Road, Thurmont, MD 21788
    Google Maps Coordinates
    Last edited by cclaxton; 04-21-2015 at 03:55 PM.

User Tag List