Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some help...13 year old shooting support hand only

Sounds like he is compromising his stance when going weak hand only, from your description.

In the past I have had to teach smaller statured coppers how to overcome such issues, typically by a more aggressive stance with the shoulder rolled forward as though they have thrown a punch. Rolling the gun slighlty (not gangster gripping the gun, just to about the 11 or 1 o'clock position) can often help.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Pushups and pullups are worth all the "grippy strength" exercisers in the world. People get severe forearms injuries/tennis elbow if they overdo the forearms...which is very easy to do. I did it myself. I found that if I can get to the point of being able to do 20 consecutive pullups and 100 consecutive pushups, the stabilizing muscles of my wrist are enough to give me good recoil control.
    I wonder how many USPSA GM's can do 10 push ups.

I work nights and just got home, so first I would like to Thank everyone so far for their advice and suggestions.

Next I will answer the questions around the gun and ammo. I purchased the m&p pro new back in the fall, and installed an Apex sear and striker block along with stippling of the frame. Out of the box it did exhibit extraction issues, mainly just weak where the brass would land at my right foot and sometimes back in my face, with my son tons of stove pipes. I put around 200 rounds through it with no change. Taking the advice of Grant from G&R Tactical I installed the green s&w recoil spring, and that cured it, it now ejects the brass 5-6 feet. It has ran flawless through the 6000 rounds that have been put through it since, in fact I shot it in last Saturdays steel shoot. My son has probably put a 1000 of the 6000 rounds through it practicing with zero issues as well except for his support hand shooting. I reload, so my ammo combination is 124 grain bayou bullets with 3.8 grains of win 231 and an OAL of 1.030. With the success he has shooting it other then with his support hand I really don't think its a gun or ammo issue but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I won't be able to get my son to the range till Friday, and will try Mr. Haggard's recommendation on modifying his stance. I will record him shooting to post back here, hopefully with success, if not for folks to analyze for other suggestions.

Thanks again!

If you are comfortable doing so, take a pic or video of his weak side only stance and post it.
    www.agiletactical.com

http://www.reddit.com/r/GripTraining/wiki/faq

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/basics.html

I added these to my workout routine and have seen big improvement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I wonder how many USPSA GM's can do 10 push ups.
    Lol...I wonder how many of the gun owning crowd period can do 5 pullups....

Strength isn't a huge part of shooting, but proper conditioning is a huge part of avoiding injury.

Again though, a good athletic trainer or PT can develop the right exercise program

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    If you are comfortable doing so, take a pic or video of his weak side only stance and post it.
    I can and definitely will tomorrow after he gets home from school, I have to leave for work shortly and running behind schedule.

I get it, I just threw that out there since it would allow those of us with coaching experience to make a more informed comment, and be able to help out more effectively.
    www.agiletactical.com

Sorry for the poor picture quality, it's raining outside and the lighting was not so good inside. This weekend I will get some video of him actually shooting support hand. Thanks in advance!

I "think" that making his stance a bit more aggressive may help. I've been working one handed, left handed for a while as my nephew has only one hand and it's cross dominant with his eye. One of the things that Mas Ayoob's MAG40 showed me was the body index of a single hand's orientation to the torso. I found that if the stance was aggressive enough to easily place the weak hand (sans firearm) on the leading knee cap, my shot group tightened right up. Relax the stance and the shot group opened up.

Food for thought.

User Tag List