Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Excellent pre-emptive draw

In bad areas, when traveling, and pretty regularly these days, I have a revolver in the same place or under my left leg for the same reason. One of the best OIS shootings we had was a former LAPD bad ass who retried and went to work for us carried a 6" .45 Colt. Tough to draw in the car, so he carried his off duty S&W 669 under his left leg in the car. Whacked a duty with two 147 grain sub-sonics in a very rapid deployment from the car. A ton of my guys (as did I) carried Ruger SP-101's with 180 Black Talons under our legs driving both on and off duty specifically for counter Car-jacking.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    In bad areas, when traveling, and pretty regularly these days, I have a revolver in the same place or under my left leg for the same reason. One of the best OIS shootings we had was a former LAPD bad ass who retried and went to work for us carried a 6" .45 Colt. Tough to draw in the car, so he carried his off duty S&W 669 under his left leg in the car. Whacked a duty with two 147 grain sub-sonics in a very rapid deployment from the car. A ton of my guys (as did I) carried Ruger SP-101's with 180 Black Talons under our legs driving both on and off duty specifically for counter Car-jacking.
    Very surprised to hear that Nyeti. I thought everyone learned from my agency's mistakes (I'm sure plenty of others have made the same mistakes, but ours seem to get more play). Putting a gun under your leg while driving can lead to all sorts of bad things when you have to drive aggressively before the shooting starts. In your case, I'm sure you have another serious gun on you if you were to lsoe the one under your leg. Others may not though, and regardless, if it gets stuck under a pedal, problems may ensue.

Since I carry AIWB, car draws are pretty effortless. When I carried behind the hip, I practiced my draw in the car quite a bit. Never had an issue getting it out fast.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Very surprised to hear that Nyeti. I thought everyone learned from my agency's mistakes (I'm sure plenty of others have made the same mistakes, but ours seem to get more play). Putting a gun under your leg while driving can lead to all sorts of bad things when you have to drive aggressively before the shooting starts. In your case, I'm sure you have another serious gun on you if you were to lsoe the one under your leg. Others may not though, and regardless, if it gets stuck under a pedal, problems may ensue.

Since I carry AIWB, car draws are pretty effortless. When I carried behind the hip, I practiced my draw in the car quite a bit. Never had an issue getting it out fast.
    If I have to drive aggressively I can put it back in the center console first. There are some areas I put my ankle gun under my thigh while driving and then reholster it prior to getting back out.

I carry a BUG in my cargo pocket for access while driving, although I just changed vehicles and the seats seem to offer better access to my IWB pistol.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

An ankle holster works great for seated handgun access when driving a suv or pickup, not so great in a low slung car seat.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If I have to drive aggressively I can put it back in the center console first. There are some areas I put my ankle gun under my thigh while driving and then reholster it prior to getting back out.
    I guess the point is that sometimes you can't predict when you're going to need to drive aggressively......or have to ram another car.

Otherwise Special Agent Sumdood in 1986 would not have had so much trouble, as SLG alluded to.

Both times I preempted a master grip, it was in a vehicle and if things had continued south both events probably would have involved ramming a car, person, going into a field, or all of the above. I did not get to plan or predict these events, as they happened in a matter of seconds.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I guess the point is that sometimes you can't predict when you're going to need to drive aggressively......or have to ram another car.
    Or when another car may even simply strike yours by accident. I'm sure we've all seen the results of serious car-on-car impacts. Everything that isn't nailed down goes bouncing into random zip codes. The last thing I want is to lose control of the gun that I took out so I could have a little more control over it.

The other assumption with the "gun under leg" approach is that you'll necessarily have the time and ability to hide it should someone -- like a police officer -- start poking around.

I prefer simply practicing my draw from inside the car. Which is particularly simple with aiwb as many have discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I prefer simply practicing my draw from inside the car. Which is particularly simple with aiwb as many have discovered.
    This.
    #RESIST

The greatest exaptation of the shoulder holster is for quick access while seated in a car.

RE: the car - draw or drive, don't do both. If you can't use the vehicle to drive away promptly, use it for cover and draw.

-Rob

For you guys who carry IWB at 3-5 O'Clock, do you really have that much trouble drawing while seated? Before I switched to AIWB, I took at least 1 course which included drawing and firing from the drivers seat while belted in. I dont remember it being that difficult.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List