Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LaRue Mount Issues?

I saw 5 out of 7 LaRue scope mounts loosen on .308 guns in a Shrek "Heavy Carbine" class that I hosted in late 2013. John claimed that he saw similar results in every "Heavy Carbine" rifle class he teaches regardless of how tight the LaRue mounts are set-up due to the extra pressures inside of the .308s. My Bobro mount cracked at the cross bar that rests between the rail sections after running it thru the Shrek class on a .308 LaRue PredatAR.

For 5.56 guns I have never seen one loosen that was set-up properly. They are fine on 5.56 ARs. For .308 ARs I would only recommend a fixed/non-QD scope or optic mount.

I saw 5 out of 7 LaRue scope mounts loosen on .308 guns in a Shrek &quot;Heavy Carbine&quot; class that I hosted in late 2013. John claimed that he saw similar results in every &quot;Heavy Carbine&quot; rifle class he teaches regardless of how tight the LaRue mounts are set-up due to the extra pressures inside of the .308s. My Bobro mount cracked at the cross bar that rests between the rail sections after running it thru the Shrek class on a .308 LaRue PredatAR. <br />
    <br />
    For 5.56 guns I have never seen one loosen that was set-up properly. They are fine on 5.56 ARs. For .308 ARs I would only recommend a fixed/non-QD scope or optic mount.<br/>

Have you heard of any other Bobro failures Nick?

Sent from a SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 4.

None.

Bobro replaced my mount with the quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    I saw 5 out of 7 LaRue scope mounts loosen on .308 guns in a Shrek "Heavy Carbine" class that I hosted in late 2013. John claimed that he saw similar results in every "Heavy Carbine" rifle class he teaches regardless of how tight the LaRue mounts are set-up due to the extra pressures inside of the .308s. My Bobro mount cracked at the cross bar that rests between the rail sections after running it thru the Shrek class on a .308 LaRue PredatAR.

For 5.56 guns I have never seen one loosen that was set-up properly. They are fine on 5.56 ARs. For .308 ARs I would only recommend a fixed/non-QD scope or optic mount.
    I have around 750 .308 rounds through my MR762 using a GG&G mounted 3x15, if it was slipping or loosening I'd know it shooting 10" plates at 900Y. So far so good.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Very interesting. Was your Bobro incident a fluke, or have you seen others do this/re-created the problem yourself?

Not sure if it was a fluke or not. I haven't seen anyone else have it happen. My Bobro did retain its zero on the .308 during the class. It didn't crack until a couple of months after the class when I moved it back to my 5.56 AR and fired several hundred rounds of 5.56 thru it.

I have since moved completely away from QD mounts for my scoped guns. I now used fixed scope mounts on my variable scoped guns with off-set irons. It just makes more sense to me.

But as I said previously, for the OP's purposes QD mounts on red dot optics mounted on 5.56 guns are highly unlikely to ever have any issues regarding holding zero or failing.

For a standard 5.56 AR, the LaRue is a top choice. I have "stupid" time on them and see enough to be fairly confident of that. Read Failure to Stop's post again as well as it is right on.

Some Euro rails, hard recoiling piston guns like the SCAR 17, etc...probably something with a longer clamping surface with more in contact. On my own stuff doing a lot of Aimpoint demos I use LaRue, Aimpoints factory LRP (especially with a magnifier), and ADM. None have had issues and I have the most rounds through the LaRue and Aimpoint mounts.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

This is one illustration of why I tend to stay with hard mounted (non-qd) optic mounts on .308 autoloaders, with an offset backup sighting solution.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    This is one illustration of why I tend to stay with hard mounted (non-qd) optic mounts on .308 autoloaders, with an offset backup sighting solution.
    Good to know. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Overall, LaRue mounts work fine when tightened so that the lever requires distinct effort to open, and are left alone until removal is crucial, not at whim.
    Seconded. Having diddybopped all over the Corps' GCE during the fielding, NET training, and sustainment training for SDO, MDO, and other optics utilizing the LaRue QD, the tensioning recommendation of "about as much effort as it takes to pull the tab of a beer can" just doesn't work.

They work just fine if they're installed tightly, which is the info passed during NET, parroted on teach-backs...and promptly forgotten.

If you don't need to throw a piece of 550 cord or nylon webbing around the throw-arm to help you pull it open, it's not snug enough.

User Tag List