Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LaRue Mount Issues?

The thing is, why put up with dinged rails, why put up with a mount you have to worry about how many times you take it on or off if you don't have to?

Well, this and other input led to me going to Bobro.

1) It seems everyone has an opinion on something that should be a hard fact: How much pressure does it take to hold the LaRue in place? Noone REALLY seems to agree on that. Screw that, IMO. That's like buying a car and not REALLY knowing what oil to put in the motor to keep it from eating cam bearings.

2) The LaRue mounts seem to be dancing all around the height I want to mate up to an Eotech G33 (they have a 1.40", and a 1.6X", but no 1.5X"...), while the Bobro seems to nail it with their "lower 1/3 CW" spacer.

3) I have a GDI Aimpoint mount. I personally am not enamored with it.

4) People I trust have had issues with ADM's loosening up. I also had some issues with them not mating correctly on a proper mil-spec rail with the 1st gen mounts. I decided to pass, even though ADM is a great company!

5) I feel like the Bobro is the most durable when it comes to an impact. Now, this is just my OPINION, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but...the Bobro clamps via spring pressure (well what if they wear out? What if they lose tension? Well...the guts of the optic you are mating it to are held in place with springs also, so...) and this spring pressure is a constant. You bang it hard enough to compress the springs, well, they compress. Then they snap right back. Kindof like hitting a pot-hole in your vehicle, the ride-height on level ground did not change...where-as the other mounts are all more "rigid" in their attachment method, and may well be stressed to the point of plastic deformation (as could the rail), if hit HARD. Again...just an opinion/thought.

So, in short, I went with Bobro lower 1/3 to mate my T2 to my upper in front of my G33 (factory mount/no spacer, works great!)

Thank-you! And hope to keep the discussion going.

Like I said, seen a lot of LaRue's on 5.56 mm guns and 12 ga shotguns without any issues. Use non-detachable mounts/rings on .308 and bigger calibers.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

On a shotgun, used with heavy slugs, what is the consensus on the strength of the Aimpoint OEM low mount for the T1 versus the low Larue (assuming you don't need QD capability)?

I stuck a T1 on my Benelli M2 20 gauge, using the low OEM mount, as I didn't need QD capability, and the OEM mount gets the optic lower.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    On a shotgun, used with heavy slugs, what is the consensus on the strength of the Aimpoint OEM low mount for the T1 versus the low Larue (assuming you don't need QD capability)?

I stuck a T1 on my Benelli M2 20 gauge, using the low OEM mount, as I didn't need QD capability, and the OEM mount gets the optic lower.
    I have a ton of both buck and slug through mine with zero issues.

Unobtainium, if you want to sell the GDI mount, let me know as I would like to try one.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post

Unobtainium, if you want to sell the GDI mount, let me know as I would like to try one.
    $150. It's the MT5-OSM. Lnib.

I put a small piece of nail or metal rod to take up the extra space in the hole--that seems to eliminate the loosening issues I used to have with the OEM micro-Aimpoint mounts.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post

Your comments for the OEM or Larue?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What are everyone's thoughts on ADM mounts? I'd like to get a Bobro mount but I can't find the high micro mount anywhere, and what Bobro has listed as lower 1/3 cowitness is actually closer to absolute on an AR 15.

If the Larue doesn't work well as a true QD mount I'm half tempted to get a Daniel Defense mount and at least save a little.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Your comments for the OEM or Larue?
    OEM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List