Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LaRue Mount Issues?

LaRue Mount Issues?

I don't care about "Nike Swooshes", and I don't want to discuss the founder's personality or worth as a human being. I am curious about the interface, and how it's done for people who've beat the crap out of it. A lot of the newer mounts have larger surface areas/clamping surfaces. I am curious if there is any merit to the idea that over time (such as Grant of G&R tactical alluded to secondary to his claimed high-speed videos of weapon mounts during recoil, where he claimed that the LaRue system could create a dent which grew and grew with use), the rail could be dented and zero lost/the mount needing to be adjusted again. Especially after an impact to the optic/mount.

Anyway, legitimate design shortcoming, or BS? Anyone seen the nut come loose, the rail dent, the mount loosen up, etc. in the real world?

Reason I ask is I am looking for a mount for my T2 that is: Absolute co-witness with a height of 1.5X" above rail surface, and the lever on the right side.

GDI fits the bill, and LaRue LT751 fit the bill. LT mount weighs half the GDI mount.

I have an ACOG TA33 on a Larue mount. After not shooting the gun for over a year, I pulled it out of the safe to discover it was loose. Probably went into the safe that way. No idea what made it that way, as I certainly wouldn't have originally mounted it loose, and the optic and mount have been on that gun without removal for... 10 years? 8, maybe?

I had to google GDI as I had never heard of it. Nothin pg about what I see inspires confidence, Butni haven't gone looking for reviews, etc.

This is what I intend to buy for my next Micro.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/optic-mounts/ldm-micro/

However, you might consider whether or not you really need QD at all. Personally, I think it's high,ly over-rated and over-used, and it certainly comes with a premium. I'm mostly interested in the scalar because:fiddle-fart, and because I'd like to have at least one gun I can convert back to irons for new shooters, etc. If I was just buying based on "need" this is what I'd get.

https://danieldefense.com/mounts/aim...o-witness.html

I've got three of the 1/3 co-witness LaRue mounts in service mounting T1s, one of which has seen very rough service for about a decade. I've never had anything come loose, or noticed any mounting issues, damage to the gun, whatever.

Pretty sure that same mount is what Pat Rogers uses on all his EAG class loaner guns. I'll confirm.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

As a set it and forget it mount the LaRues are great, I have several of them.
    As a QD they have some shortcomings, namely they do not return to MOA zero and they will eventually chew up the rail (I have personally experienced both these issues).
    I prefer GG&G or BOBRO for true QD capability, both of those will return to MOA zero in my experience and they have much wider rail mating surface area.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

If you pull it on and off, as Jody indicates, it can start to cut the typical smiley faces into the rail. Alter the point of contact and it will affect the fit of the mount. I do not care for this system at all. Also, consider that said smiley faces indicates how much contact(or how little) you have with that mount. There are lots of choices that don't have this issue. I personally use Bobro and Ops2Inc.

I've seen close to a thousand LaRue mounts work great without any issues for over a decade--they were a great improvement over the ARMS mounts previously used.

Does technology move forward--yes, so there are now other mounts that may work better, but to date none of those particular LaRue mounts have had any issues, despite a lot of daily use.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Would you consider cutting smileys into the rail and needing to be readjusted an issue? Some may consider that as wear and tear and not see it as an issue.

Site Supporter
    Isn't the USMC using Larue mounts for their ACOG/RCO's? What has their experience been?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Isn't the USMC using Larue mounts for their ACOG/RCO's? What has their experience been?
    Only on the SDO, and since most users are not taught how to properly tension the levers I would not put much faith in the general response.

Overall, LaRue mounts work fine when tightened so that the lever requires distinct effort to open, and are left alone until removal is crucial, not at whim.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I had to google GDI as I had never heard of it. Nothin pg about what I see inspires confidence, Butni haven't gone looking for reviews, etc.
    I just traded away a GDI lower 1/3 mount for an ADM absolute mount. I wasn't a fan of GDI's unlocking mechanism; it was difficult to unlock and I felt it was larger than needed.

User Tag List