Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's a Smith 66-2 2.5-in. Fan?

Who's a Smith 66-2 2.5-in. Fan?

Guy who used to be a deputy with me 20 years ago but decided to make a more lucrative living has one in fair condition. Got some sort of road rash on the cylinder, other aesthetic issues. Lockup is not Uber tight. Has Pachmayr Presentations on it.

He let me have it to shoot a bit this weekend. Hope to get some pics up tomorrow if weather cooperates.

Just wondering if any of y'all pack one, your thoughts on this model: good, bad or ugly.

And perhaps what you think it might be worth once you see pics.

Thanks.

Well duh......80's high speed detective gun. 4" ers were for patrol folks, and when you went to dope, detectives, or off duty. That was one of those guns that said "serious gun person" . I have a beater that shoots great. I just scored the ultimate 66 yesterday.....the 3". I have been tryin to get one of these things for years. Yesterday's haul.....3" model 13, nickel model 38, and the 3" model 66-4. Yesterday was a good day.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

My 2.5 inch S&W phase overlapped with my .41 Magnum phase. Good times!

I bought a M19 2.5 inch because I figured I was not going to find a short M66.
    Found one a couple months later, of course. Have carried the M19 a bit in a Mika pocket holster,
    as a coat gun in winter. So far, mostly just shot the M66 at the range.

I sometimes prefer the feel of the two-inch M15 to the short .357s. Scooped up a couple of those in
    the last five years. Lots of fun to shoot and cheap too since I reload .38 Specials with 158 grain LSWCs.
    Usually make enough in the spring to shoot all year.

Back in the day when most detectives carried a Chief's Special, the guys who were gunfighters often carried a 2 1/2" model 19 or 66

I wish I still had some of those guns that I let come and go over the years.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Thanks, y'all.

Just channelling the '80s, thinking about getting my A.J. Simon groove on. Come to think of it, finding an old red Dodge Power Wagon like Rick had would be fun, too.

May get around to taking couple pics today, but azz draggin from NRA LE Handgun-SG Instructor this week and woke to 25 degree spring weather awhile ago. Plus weekend on-call super, he whined.

P.S. Anybody got the ref book w serial nos.? Prolly pull grips later to check. May be lost if it's an '84 gun.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 03-28-2015 at 08:26 AM.

The Supica book doesn't always have all the gouge, but its a place to start. I have one if nobody else does; post the number and we'll see.

If its a -2, the s/n should be in the yoke cut-out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Back in the day when most detectives carried a Chief's Special, the guys who were gunfighters often carried a 2 1/2" model 19 or 66

I wish I still had some of those guns that I let come and go over the years.
    Yep!! 2-1/2" model 19 and a 3" 66. Still can't believe I let them go.

The moment I saw this thread, I thought of this: "The Gauntlet" http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/5/..._002190040.jpg

Shooting buddy sold me his 66 snubbie and I threw on some Hogues I had laying around.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    well duh......80's high speed detective gun. 4" ers were for patrol folks, and when you went to dope, detectives, or off duty. That was one of those guns that said "serious gun person" . I have a beater that shoots great. I just scored the ultimate 66 yesterday.....the 3". I have been tryin to get one of these things for years. Yesterday's haul.....3" model 13, nickel model 38, and the 3" model 66-4. Yesterday was a good day.
    ya bastad you
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

User Tag List