Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Support side shooting with pistol

Site Supporter
    Don't think I fit intelligencia but I enjoy shooting/training with the "wrong side." I can't get the switching eye thing down so it doesn't seem to be significant using cover.

It's made me understand the pistol more, added new challenges, and given me more confidence. I've had fun with it. I also dream about the circumstance where I can state, "I know something you don't know, I am not left handed."

Downside I am compulsive and feel the need to buy two holsters for ever new one I want.

Cookie Monster

Offside shooting is actually semi-pleasant for me since I'm cross eye dominant and it smooths out body posture. I often wonder if I could go back in time to the first day of pistol shooting, would I have been better off shooting from the left side.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Sorry, I meant WHO.
    That's different, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've found that people willing to train to switch hands to conform to cover better collect far, far less paint in FoF training
    Chuck while what you say is true, I found that people switching hands tended to not hit me with their bullets very often in FoF. I think the true answer for me is, no matter if you want to switch hands or just switch eyes you have to practice. If done properly there is nothing more exposed with either technique. The training necessary to perfect switching hands is far more than training to just switch eyes. But because most concealment is not cover the longer I get to shoot at them the more chance of them being hit.
    Sadly that's one of the drawbacks of FoF. The simunition/utm rounds don't penetrate concealment the same as bullets, thus giving the student a false sense of security and a false idea of success using certain tactics.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Your title is a tad misleading
    How would you title it?

In this video, the FNH 3 gun captain calls it support side shooting, so I thought calling it support side shooting with pistol would be accurate.

How about "weak hand supported".

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    How about "weak hand supported".
    Sounds about right. From the PPC course of fire:

Stage 3:
    25 yards, 6 shots kneeling; 6 shots
    standing left hand with support from
    behind barricade, 6 shots standing right
    hand with support from behind
    barricade, all fire
    d double action. Time
    limit 90 seconds, including time to
    reload.
    While I'm far less experienced than most of you, I will say that shooting PPC was the very first time that I ever encountered this tactic/position.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Chuck while what you say is true, I found that people switching hands tended to not hit me with their bullets very often in FoF. I think the true answer for me is, no matter if you want to switch hands or just switch eyes you have to practice. If done properly there is nothing more exposed with either technique. The training necessary to perfect switching hands is far more than training to just switch eyes. But because most concealment is not cover the longer I get to shoot at them the more chance of them being hit.
    Sadly that's one of the drawbacks of FoF. The simunition/utm rounds don't penetrate concealment the same as bullets, thus giving the student a false sense of security and a false idea of success using certain tactics.
    All of that is true, and all of that is a training issue. Nothing works if one doesn't put the work in. I throw what I have seen out there for consideration, people needed to make educated decisions on what they train for, and what they give up in the give and take of what they have time, money and effort to give towards a goal.

I have to differ though that one can't get more meat behind cover by switching hands, I believe that you can in fact, and that under duress people tend to stick more meat out from cover when they don't switch hands.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    How would you title it?

In this video, the FNH 3 gun captain calls it support side shooting, so I thought calling it support side shooting with pistol would be accurate.
    what jay said, wasn't meaning to come of rude.

It is a nice skill to have, but to echo Todd is it worth the investment in training resources? I practice it some just so it won't be a totally new thing to me should the need ever arise, but given the low likelihood of such a need I'm not going to put too much into it.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List