Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adequacy Of Buffalo Bore .45 ACP +P 230 gr JHP

Adequacy Of Buffalo Bore .45 ACP +P 230 gr JHP

I plan on being in an area in Eastern Washington (Lake Alta/Pateros/Chelan Okanogan Forest area) in April where there's a chance of black bear/cougar encounters, albeit probably fairly remote. I will be carrying a Glock Gen 3 G21; my normal personal defense load is 230 gr Remington Golder Saber, but given the potential wildlife encounter, I figured having some sterner stuff on tap might not be such a bad idea.

I will be doing some hiking in with a small group (5-8 hikers), so the noise we generate will probably cause most prudent animals to head off. However, just in case, I got some Buffalo Bore 230gr +P JHP (I had originally intended to get their 230gr +P FMJ Flat Nose, but the JHP was what I found to be obtainable in my neck of the woods).

The bullet appears to be a Speer hollow point, and the round clocks at 950 fps + (as does the FMJ FN round)(on-line reports seem to indicate that the actual performance is slightly higher than the manufacturer stipulates). What's the consensus of the group on the sufficiency of this round for my purposes, and it's use in the Glock G21?

Best, Jon

Might be marginally better than what you have now, but since I value reliability ahead of terminal performance in a semi auto, I would only carry it if you shot enough to satisfy yourself it was as reliable as your current load. My experience with Glock pistols, especially the 20/29, is that the "hotter and heavier" you go in a particular caliber, the closer to the edge of the reliability envelope you go. If I was focused on penetration, I would carry a .40 over .45acp -- assuming you have one.

Cats are soft targets, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 9 with good bullets for them, and even for a black bear.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks, GJM-I was hoping you'd be one of the respondants. I'll run some through and see what my thoughts are. And I read the previous earlier thread on the interesting (in a good sense) performance of the Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+, which is one of my standard carry rounds for my G17 and G34 (both Gen 3)...

Any thoughts on such a .45 ACP Buffalo Bore +P JHP /Remington Golden Saber 230 gr JHP vs. 9mm Winchester Ranger comparo for my scenario? Again, the .45 would be carried in my G21, and the 9mm in my G34, to eke the maximum velocity benefits.

Best, Jon

I am kind of anti B Bore, as their 200 penetrator load in 10mm will not function in my 20, 29 or 1066/1076! I really like major manufacturer loads.

For bears, my plan is one warning shot in the ground in front of them, then one to the body, followed by the rest to the upper CNS. That is why I prioitize reliability. Velocity not so much, as I am not shooting until very, very close. I prefer a 17 or 19 size gun for ease of carry, but I would bring whatever was vetted reliable and you shoot well. If that is the 34, that is fine, but I wouldn't bring it just for a smidge more velocity.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Black bears and especially mountain lions are NOT that hard to bring down. Just use your regular duty/carry loads.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Guys, thanks. Appreciate the quick response and reassurance (and saving me a quest for yet another ammunition search!).

Best, Jon

I routinely use my carry guns to hunt deer with and this has become my go-to choice in .45 ACP (+P);

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-P-230-gr-XTP/

They're readily available on-line or at retail outlets and I routinely find them on sale for @ $15 for 20 rds. They've proven to be very accurate and reliable in all my Glocks & Colts and they penetrate better than Gold Dots IME.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I routinely use my carry guns to hunt deer with and this has become my go-to choice in .45 ACP (+P);

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-P-230-gr-XTP/
    I assume you wouldn't recommend them if you'd had any issues. How long have you been using them? There were some pretty serious problems with them a few years back, mainly concerning their use in guns with a very short leade. The bullets were seated out a bit too far, and were hitting the leade, preventing the gun from going into battery. IIRC, there were a few other QC problems as well, but that's the one I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I assume you wouldn't recommend them if you'd had any issues. How long have you been using them? There were some pretty serious problems with them a few years back, mainly concerning their use in guns with a very short leade. The bullets were seated out a bit too far, and were hitting the leade, preventing the gun from going into battery. IIRC, there were a few other QC problems as well, but that's the one I remember.

About 3 years, I guess. They work fine in my Glock 21 and 30 and a couple of 1911's. They certainly are a bit longer (1.250 vs 1.203) than Gold Dots in OAL but I've experienced no problems with feeding from my magazines or chambering in my particular guns.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I was going to suggest the Hornady +P, but that's been done.

I shot that loading for years when I wanted .45acp that penetrated a bit more then the average .45acp JHP. Never had an issue from my Glocks or HKs
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List