Thread: AAR: Sage Dynamics Force Focus Fundamentals (Sims)

AAR: Sage Dynamics Force Focus Fundamentals (Sims)

The Class: Force Focus Fundamentals. 1 day, 8-10 hours in duration beginning
    @9 a.m.

Location & Date: Woodbury, Ga. (Atlanta suburb), March 21, 2015. The class was held in a complex that used to be an airsoft field. We did most things in a courtyard, but also used rooms, hallways and stairs.

Gear: Sim-kitted G19s were provided, as well as head and chest protection. Dummy/practice weapons were also provided. I brought everything on the list, plus holsters and what I usually carry daily. I laughed about needing a cup when I looked at the list, but then shot a guy in the (protected) dick on the first drill. The simunition rounds do seriously sting, but they don’t really “hurt”.

Who is this class for? This class is for anyone who carries, or wants to carry, a gun for defense of themselves and or others. Past the safety requirements, any level shooter will benefit greatly from this class.

Skill Level: Basic “+” to Advanced. Students are expected to understand and practice safe firearms handling (4 rules) and be proficient in drawing a pistol from concealment. Previous iterations contained these aspects, but were removed to focus the limited time on drills.

Fitness Level: Easy-Moderate. Jogging and light running are part of some drills, as well as getting down on the ground and back up. I have 7 fused vertebrae, a surgically replaced ACL, controlled Type II Diabetes; controlled hypertension and in poor fitness condition and had no issues completing tasks. I would always recommend a doctor’s permission if you have issues and to immediately inform your instructor of any issues as they arise.

Teacher: Aaron Cowan.
    I intentionally used the word “teacher” instead of “instructor” or “trainer”, because of the amount of time and effort he obviously puts into the subject matter. “Professor” would actually be a better word, but I’m not sure that would suit him personally. He has a wealth of experience in dealing with the same kind criminals and situations, as a law-enforcement officer on the local and federal level, that we as armed citizens might be confronted with. In addition to his own personal experience, he has done extensive research on many things that factor into those situations. This wealth of knowledge was made apparent by the stories and studies he used to reinforce learning points during lecture and drills. These stories are always pertinent to the matter at hand and are very enlightening.

Aaron’s teaching style is very straightforward. He spoke clearly, with good cadence, and did not fumble with words or concepts. While humor was a part of his style and the content, it always reinforced the point and it never strayed or disrupted the flow of information. He read the class well and knew when to slow down or further-explain the content. He didn’t talk-down to anyone and assumed our intelligence and commitment. He was enjoyable to listen to.
    During drills, all commands and instructions were clear and verified.

Myself: I am 40 years old, and have been carrying a gun daily for the last 3 years. I came to shooting and self-defense later in life, having bought my first pistol at age 35. My entire adult life has been spent in the restaurant and foodservice industry. As such, opportunities for training have been nonexistent (NO weekends off. Ever.). I now have a job that allows for it and am taking as many classes as possible this year, and making time for practice of that training. My previous training was an advanced FL CWL class 2 years ago, and Tactical Response Fighting Pistol this past January. I consider myself a below-average shooter, as I have been mostly self-taught.

My Classmates: We had a variety of students from locales as diverse as NJ, SC, and me in central FL. I met gentlemen in the home healthcare, auto repair, and martial arts professions. They were all good to excellent shooters, and I found myself in the lower skill level compared to them. As usual with the type of gun owner who seeks out this kind of training, they were all solid guys. The camaraderie was outstanding and I’d invite any one of them into my home. We worked together and learned from each other, as well as Aaron. Every student participated fully and we were all invested in each other’s experience.

The Class
    The class was divided into 3 parts: Lecture, “Focus” Drills, and Scenarios. I was so immersed in each that I did not pay attention to how long they took. Aaron, however, was acutely aware and sped up or slowed down as needed.

The lecture included mindset, awareness, force decisions and personal morality, criminal tactics, body language, verbal commands, fight physiology and anatomy. The lecture was accompanied by a PowerPoint presentation, but it was only used intermittently. I believe that many of our class had received some of the information before, and that Aaron read us and moved past or quickly through what he saw that we knew. It was all very useful information, and the attention to detail led me to believe that he could have taught a day-long class on each topic.

The “Focus” Drills were comprised of two lines of 4 students (We had 8 students total), separated by between 10 and 50 feet depending on the drill. 4 of us faced away from the other 4 and Aaron instructed the others in what behavior to display. On command, we’d turn around and deal with what we saw with (or without) a sims gun from concealment. It always involved our counterpart advancing (or one drill, in contact distance) displaying behavior that required us to act rapidly and accordingly. There were “shoot”, “no shoot”, “verbal command” and “do nothing” correct outcomes and we never knew what was coming next. The pace was intense and decision making had to be near-instant.

Each student then participated in lightly scripted scenarios. One “good guy” would take 2 evolutions, while the rest of us played victims, criminals, potential violent actors, police, or bystanders depending on the scenario. Played-out were assaults, defense of 3rd party, robberies, irrational persons, and others. I volunteered for anything Aaron asked and frequently played the “bad guy”, or one of them.

Instructions were given to all, but they were loose and allowed us to get into the roles and really play them up. “Good guys” all started from the same staging area and were told what they were doing only (“You’re walking home from work”, “You’re going to the movies”). No other info was given and each “good guy” had to figure it out (or not) on their own.

The “bad guy(s)” and bystanders were also given similar instructions. (“You’re a gangster with no training. Don’t shoot like you know what you’re doing”, “When the shooting starts, get in the GG’s way”). Bad guys were also instructed on how many chest hits it should take before they went down (Head shots always stopped the fight). We all played our roles to the best of our abilities. I, being an irreverent smartass, tried to make it as hard on the “good guy” as possible. In numerous events, I dropped the weapon before being shot and refused further verbal commands. In one event, I was part of an arguing group. When deciding what to argue about, I suggested Justin Bieber. We split into camps and went at it. I think my Beliebers won!
    After each scenario, there was a de-brief and Aaron made constructive criticism where needed. The class also discussed each role and how it all played out. Nobody got the same scenario, so we all tried to learn as much as we could from each other. Aaron and my fellow classmates made sure we all learned the lessons from each one.

Being the good guy was difficult. The scenarios were designed to catch you off-guard. You had to see and analyze things very quickly, and the outcome of the event was often solely dependent on your actions. Through all scenarios (even those of others), my decision making and personal morality were tested. I was also made abundantly clear of my vulnerabilities and that of those around me
    By the time we had 2 evolutions each as the “Good Guy” there wasn’t time for all of us to complete one more. Aaron used the remaining time on more Focus drills. The emphasis on these was movement and it really drove it home for me how important it is. Movement will save your life. Stance will get you killed. It’s that simple.

Class, room for improvement: I don’t have another class of this type to compare it to, but I can’t think of anything that could have been done better.

Myself, room for improvement: I definitely need to work on my shot placement and the first shot from concealment. Live and dry fire are in high order. I also need to practice using cover more. My fitness needs to improve as well. I would have gotten more from the class at a higher level, not to mention it just makes anyone harder to kill.

Biggest take-aways:
    • Decide your threshold for involvement ahead of time. The time you take to decide could cost you or someone else their life.
    • “If someone shows me a gun, I’m going to show them bullets”, Aaron Cowan
    • Verbal commands are limited in usefulness and situations. Dicking around with someone who is non-compliant will get you or someone else killed. (I learned that one by often being the non-compliant one)
    • Movement is a lifesaving skill and should be instantaneous on encountering a threat.
    • Scan early and often. Just because you got one doesn’t mean he didn’t bring a buddy.
    • Keep fighting, no matter what. Don’t stop until you’re dead or safe.

Conclusion: If you want my opinion of this class, know this: I drove 9+ hours each way, spent as much on travel as I did on the class…and I’d do it again tomorrow if I could. I’m looking forward to my next Sage Dynamics class ASAP.

Thanks, great AAR

Wasn't aware of Sage, but very interested in this type of training

I've lived in GA for over 40 years, and this is the first time that I have ever seen Woodbury referenced as a suburb of Atlanta. Don't tell the locals that.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I've lived in GA for over 40 years, and this is the first time that I have ever seen Woodbury referenced as a suburb of Atlanta. Don't tell the locals that.
    I live in Melbourne, FL. I wind up telling people "Cocoa Beach" just to save a lengthy geography lesson lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Thanks, great AAR

Wasn't aware of Sage, but very interested in this type of training
    At the beginning of the class, Aaron said "If you aren't training scenarios, you're only getting 1/2 the picture". Having taken this and Tactical Response Fighting Pistol in January, I couldn't agree more. I'm going to take an equal amount of sims and live-fire classes from here on out (From him and others). He also does sims vehicle, home defense and rifle classes.

SageDynamics.org. You can also look him up on YouTube.

Thanks!

User Tag List