Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition vs Carry sights

Ameriglo shows it as .125. Unfortunately they don't make it for the M&P, just the Glock. My G34 is currently tied up in my little RMR experiment.

We are diminished
    Orange TCAP front sights (at least for Glocks) are on their way. I do not know whether they will become a regular offering or just one run.

I'm of the belief that the recent uptick in interest for FO and all-black sights is based primarily on people who are chasing range performance and ignoring their personal realities.

• It takes almost no time or effort to find "sight pictures" in your own dwelling and/or office where you can adequately identify a target (without a flashlight) and need tritium to align the sights.
    • If a couple of blacked out dots on your rear sight has that big an impact on your ability to shoot well, then I would suggest you have a completely different problem that needs addressing rather than giving up the benefit of night sights.
    • The belief that you'll always have (or always want) a light to illuminate a target is based primarily on modern military team room clearing methodology. That methodology may not pertain to you every single minute of every single day of your personal daily life.

Ask yourself which is more important: gaining a fraction of a second on the draw or your splits while you're practicing, or having the ability to see your sights on an identified threat that moves into a position where he's heavily backlit and your black-on-black sights basically disappear. Do you think you're more likely to be mugged at a bright and sunny firing range, or while passing a dark alley in the evening?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Orange TCAP front sights (at least for Glocks) are on their way. I do not know whether they will become a regular offering or just one run.

I'm of the belief that the recent uptick in interest for FO and all-black sights is based primarily on people who are chasing range performance and ignoring their personal realities.

• It takes almost no time or effort to find "sight pictures" in your own dwelling and/or office where you can adequately identify a target (without a flashlight) and need tritium to align the sights.
    • If a couple of blacked out dots on your rear sight has that big an impact on your ability to shoot well, then I would suggest you have a completely different problem that needs addressing rather than giving up the benefit of night sights.
    • The belief that you'll always have (or always want) a light to illuminate a target is based primarily on modern military team room clearing methodology. That methodology may not pertain to you every single minute of every single day of your personal daily life.

Ask yourself which is more important: gaining a fraction of a second on the draw or your splits while you're practicing, or having the ability to see your sights on an identified threat that moves into a position where he's heavily backlit and your black-on-black sights basically disappear. Do you think you're more likely to be mugged at a bright and sunny firing range, or while passing a dark alley in the evening?
    This is why I have carried Tritium sights since 1990.
    Black target sights work best on bright range days for precision. I like Trijicon Orange HD best overall for carry. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    Ameriglo shows it as .125. Unfortunately they don't make it for the M&P, just the Glock. My G34 is currently tied up in my little RMR experiment.
    Oh ok, I had just found a previous thread and it was saying .120 ( in the first post of the thread), but that could be incorrect

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Pro-Cap-sights

Also does Ameriglo still make the Thin Tritium with Orange outline?

I am only seeing Lime Green outline on the website...

Lots of good points about the same topic in the thread below:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hlight=tritium

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat View Post
    Also does Ameriglo still make the Thin Tritium with Orange outline?

I am only seeing Lime Green outline on the website...
    I don't think they ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    [*]It takes almost no time or effort to find "sight pictures" in your own dwelling and/or office where you can adequately identify a target (without a flashlight) and need tritium to align the sights.
    I recently revisited this for no reason other than ending up with a bunch of guns with different sights. It does take very little effort to find a spot where target ID is easy but black or FO sights are barely visible. What I found interesting was that the tritium sights were not great either, usable, but not great. Surprisingly, GJM's fully orange painted front sight worked the best for me under those lighting conditions.

A quick note about personal experience. I've been shooting all black Defoors on a Gen 4 19 for over a year. I was perfectly happy with them until I shot a few indoor IDPA matches this winter. My eyes don't focus as quickly as they used to and the combination if that and poor lighting made them very difficult to pick up quickly.

Last weekend I shot an outdoor match with the same pistol and sights and was happy with them again. As soon as the match was over I shot a classifier. I decided to shoot a new to me Gen 4 26 with factory (I think) Trijicon night sights. They are the green front yellow back 3 dot set up. I shot the first stage and I couldn't believe how big the dot on the front sight looked. It felt like I was shooting with a set of Big dot sights.

I've always thought I preferred all black rears and skinny front sights but after Saturday I'm rethinking that. The three dots didn't seem to bother me at all. I would have like more light around the front sight though. I'm really interested in trying a set of the orange T-Caps now when they are available.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    A quick note about personal experience. I've been shooting all black Defoors on a Gen 4 19 for over a year. I was perfectly happy with them until I shot a few indoor IDPA matches this winter. My eyes don't focus as quickly as they used to and the combination if that and poor lighting made them very difficult to pick up quickly.

Last weekend I shot an outdoor match with the same pistol and sights and was happy with them again. As soon as the match was over I shot a classifier. I decided to shoot a new to me Gen 4 26 with factory (I think) Trijicon night sights. They are the green front yellow back 3 dot set up. I shot the first stage and I couldn't believe how big the dot on the front sight looked. It felt like I was shooting with a set of Big dot sights.

I've always thought I preferred all black rears and skinny front sights but after Saturday I'm rethinking that. The three dots didn't seem to bother me at all. I would have like more light around the front sight though. I'm really interested in trying a set of the orange T-Caps now when they are available.
    I have a 10-8 rears and single Dawson on my P30's and soon to be the same on a VP9. My Glock 19 that I like the best has the HD sights but I bought a set of Hacks to try out on my other G19. My wife hates the all black rears and tritium or Fiber front but I like them. All her guns have the standard 3 dot Trijicons because that is what her Duty gun has. I am so use to the M9 having nothing but a Dot that I have not had an issue going from or too any of these times of systems. I am trying to go all black rears for the simple fact that I have issues focusing at times with some combinations due to being to over powering on the rear tritium sights.

User Tag List