Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition vs Carry sights

Competition vs Carry sights

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and didn't find anything.

I find that I can get better and faster hits by using a plain black rear and a fiber optic front sight. As long as I'm in decent lighting anyway. For this reason my competition gun as this setup. I've been hesitant to put these on my carry gun though, since their low-light ability is not so hot. My current carry gun wears Idot Pros, which work well for me, but not as good as the black/FO combo.

What is the consensus here? Does anyone have experience with shooting FO front sights during night training or CCW? If so, how did they hold up?

I like your described set-up, black rear with a FO front, for day time use, IDPA matches, etc., but I find it seriously lacking in low light, so my carry/duty sights are Ameriglo orange/tritium front and their "Pro Operator" rear sights.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and didn't find anything.

I find that I can get better and faster hits by using a plain black rear and a fiber optic front sight. As long as I'm in decent lighting anyway. For this reason my competition gun as this setup. I've been hesitant to put these on my carry gun though, since their low-light ability is not so hot. My current carry gun wears Idot Pros, which work well for me, but not as good as the black/FO combo.

What is the consensus here? Does anyone have experience with shooting FO front sights during night training or CCW? If so, how did they hold up?
    I know that Wilson Combat sells a Bill Wilson carry pistol that comes with a FO front sight/flat black rear (but for some reason the stock photo has them with tritiums...? http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-...p#.VRLgupPF85g), so some people believe in it.

As a certified non-expert, I would be uncomfortable without at least a tritium front sight post (What I have now - Hackathorns). I will probably upgrade my rear sights to 2-lamp Pros as I am otherwise satisfied with the sight picture the Hacks offer. I am not in an rush, though.

Duty/Carry black rear and a tritium front. Personally, I think the more stimulus (dots, colors, etc) the worse off you are but everyone is a little different. Really, it has to be so dark for tritium to work and once you turn on a flashlight you have black on black anyway. But there are lots of thing to consider and 1 combination may be good for 1 thing; and be bad for another. Decide what is best for you; what are where you are willing to give for this application or that. Personally, I'd be comfortable with a black rear fiber front and a wml.
    A71593

I doubt you'll find a consensus, beyond that one should definitely get experience with their carry sights in all lighting conditions.

A little reading...
    Night Sights vs fiber optics (August 2013 edition)
    Argument for fiber optics on a carry gun?

Edit: Personally I don't think I will choose to carry a FO front unless paired with a laser. Still working through my options there.
    Last edited by EricM; 03-25-2015 at 11:47 AM.

I'm convinced that no matter what sights we use, there is a target color/background color/lighting condition out there somewhere just waiting to screw us over.

I don't think pistol-forum has a true consensus on sights, but nights sights with a high-visibility element to the front, like the HDs, Hacks, etc. seem to be among the most popular choices here.

Those are good threads that EricM posted.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I have HDs on my carry guns. Orange. I have red FO on two pistols I train with a lot but my carry guns are rotated into training also. I just do not find measurable differences in performance and orange HDs are at least as easy to pick up fast as a red FO in daylight.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Those articles are great, lots of good info in them.

The issue that I personally have with the current gen of high-visibility front sights (HDs, Idot Pros, etc) is that I have a hard time getting good 20+ yard hits with them. At shorter distances they are great, but the size of the front sight gets to be an issue for me when I'm at any kind of speed. This is probably a training issue. I just have a lot more rounds through my setup with the black/FO sights.

I'm intrigued by the FO/laser combo. I usually run Glocks so i've never tried the lasergrips, but just picked up a little M&P9c that seems like a decent home for some. I may have to try that out.
    Last edited by DocSabo40; 03-25-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Horrible spelling

on my g-19's I have t-cap front and plain rear, that is what i use for training, competition and carry, for FY 15, my goal is to train/compete with the same set-up/gun that i carry. I find that almost like all, it comes down to practice and practice.

Comp and carry.
    Ameriglo orange T-Cap front, yellow Pro Operator rear if it's an option, orange Trijicon HD's are my backup plan.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List