Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition vs Carry sights

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Maybe not the thinnest, but I really like the Ameriglo Operator set. The rear has a .150 notch with no outlines around the tubes (yellow) and the white outline front is .125 wide. The front has a standard tube and is plenty bright. Works VERRY well and I have these on most of my Glocks. I'm playing with a .140 Pro Glow (square) high-vis front with the .180 notch Pro Operator rear (no outline on the yellow rear tubes) on a G19. The move to a higher visibility front is vision driven.

IMO, a rear sight without white outlines is no more distracting in regular light than a plain black rear. And you have the tubes when you need them.
    I would like to try a set of Ameriglo Operators G/Y but I did not see them in PDF catalog this year and are sold out everywhere.

If I was a regular person and was out mostly during the day or in the evening and normally always in town I'd likely go with a black rear/FO front and be pretty happy. Maybe it's too much night shift cop work, with some non-urban varmint shooting in low light thrown in, but I really like having tritium sights.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    No my hits are fine, just not as good as with FOs. I ran some drills yesterday and it came down to .21 vs .17 splits on bill drills, and 5" vs 3" 25 yard slow fire groups. It's a noticeable difference, but I think for the benefits of night sights that have been pointed out, i'll give up a little performance.
    don't blame you one bit. thanks for the follow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    If I was a regular person and was out mostly during the day or in the evening and normally always in town I'd likely go with a black rear/FO front and be pretty happy. Maybe it's too much night shift cop work, with some non-urban varmint shooting in low light thrown in, but I really like having tritium sights.
    What changed my mind was realizing that as it gets darker there is no single lighting condition. House lights, street lights, darkness and everything in between. A threat might be lit up but I might be in the dark where FO does me no good.

BTW, I owe you some thanks for the idea to walk around with my slide to test visibility. You mentioned doing something similar in another thread here and it was sage advice!
    "A man's character is his fate."

Hi, I need some advice.

I am about to start carrying a VP9 in a JM CK IWB1. The VP9 has a set of Trijicon HD yellows on it.

My previous carry was a Walther PPS M2 with factory blacked out rear, factory painted white.

I am making the switch because: reasons.

I put the Trijicon HDs on the VP9 because I thought they looked cool and all the cool kids had them. (Kinda kidding, but not far off). I've been using the VP9 for gun games, but now I need to stop and think.

I'm just your basic mall Food Court civilian.

Is there any reason I should take the Trijicon HDs off and put the factory 'glow in the dark' sights back on for carry?

For example, the Trijicons are pretty sharp, do folks have issues with them digging in?

I admit, I know zip about guns other than what I've learned here; I do like the big yellow dot and it is easy to put it on target and press.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Is there any reason I should take the Trijicon HDs off and put the factory 'glow in the dark' sights back on for carry?
    I'm a little confused by this - the Trijicon HDs are nights sights, so they do glow in the dark. When you say 'the factory glow in the dark sights', do you mean non-self-luminous, you-must-charge-them-with-light, Euro pseudo-night sights?
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I do like the big yellow dot and it is easy to put it on target and press.
    which means it helps you shoot better, right?

So, if you've got a set of sights that you shoot better with, then you have a set of sights that you can defend yourself better with.

If the sharpness of the HDs actually bothers you (the only way to know is to carry) then you may want to change sights for something that would be similar to what you have. If they don't bother you, then stay with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I'm a little confused by this - the Trijicon HDs are nights sights, so they do glow in the dark. When you say 'the factory glow in the dark sights', do you mean non-self-luminous, you-must-charge-them-with-light, Euro pseudo-night sights?
    Yes.

The OEM sights on my VP9 are painted with a luminous paint. They require a charge by flashlight to glow, then decay.

I believe (but do not know) it is related to European / German regulations on night sights. Which is weird because I understand HK USA sells a VP9 with Meprolight night sights. Which are Israeli, I think I was told.

If anyone has the real story on German pistols and glow in the dark sights, I'd be interested.

Paging Ms. Tam?

Competition vs Carry sights

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    which means it helps you shoot better, right?

So, if you've got a set of sights that you shoot better with, then you have a set of sights that you can defend yourself better with.

If the sharpness of the HDs actually bothers you (the only way to know is to carry) then you may want to change sights for something that would be similar to what you have. If they don't bother you, then stay with them.
    Gotcha. When the holster comes, I'll find out soon enough.

I may be ok.

But I thought I'd ask the board if there was something I'm missing (which happens frequently. Dunning and Kruger live in my house. )
    Last edited by RJ; 09-20-2016 at 06:11 PM.

No reason to remove the Trijicon HD's and put the factory luminescent sights back on. I have standardized on Dawson FO front/plain rear for both competition and carry, but the HD's are fine, and an improvement over the ones you replaced.
    TY83544

User Tag List