Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Holster for LCR

I just placed an order for an Alessi rig with a thumb break. They'll do that for another $20. Thanks for the advise, guys.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GunRacer View Post
    I just placed an order for an Alessi rig with a thumb break. They'll do that for another $20. Thanks for the advise, guys.
    Alessi or JRC ?

Alessi. I'll post some pics when I get it in 8-9 weeks :/

I'm with Chuck, not that he needs my help. I carried an Uncle Mike's for all sixteen years on the street. I had 15 or more foot pursuits, kicked as many doors, fights, k9 tracks etc., with only one incident where the thumb break even came unsnapped. It wore very well for me and kept the gun (38spl airweight) nice and snug on my ankle. It also kept the barrel just behind my ankle which allowed it to be very comfortable. Knocking the backup gun on the bottom of the vehicle when entering or exiting is a normal thing, but for me it only happened the first few times when I first started carrying that way. The body learns quickly to allow extra room and I don't recall it happening again unless I changed the carry piece.

The only knock on the Uncle Mikes for me would be that it really only fit when wearing boots. That probably has more to do with being stretched out a bit but it would not carry sands boots well at all. When I get bumped back to the road some day I will strap it back on with out any concern.

El Cid covered most everything, and quite well.

I do make them with Thumb Breaks as well as Alessi - as noted by GunRacer.

I didn't realize that Alessi made great ankle rigs - not really sure I have been all of this time. I have used a Galco Ankle Lite and I am not the biggest fan of it. It was hot and it always dug into my ankle. As another poster said - some days can be too tight, other days can be too loose, and some days you get just right. What I did like about it is it had a calf strap that kind of allowed it to stay up a little bit so it wouldn't just go all the way down to my shoe - that being said that also wasn't the most comfy around your leg. When sitting down, if you were looking, anyone could see that I was carrying a gun. I ended up giving up ankle carry because it showed a lot when sitting down and it was just plain uncomfortable hitting my ankle bone all of the time. The Alessi / 5 Shot look like great comfy rigs though, that being said, it says they are designed for low carry on the ankle - that would be my only concern. I don't know the solution for that! It is probably carry somewhere else.

John - is there any difference between yours and the Alessi model? The only thing i can see is that the angle of the gun on your model looks a little more forward canted.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I modify an Uncle Mike's rig, I use the one for "medium autos", size 16 I think it is. I have my sewing lady add a bar tack to the holster portion just behind the trigger guard area. Best J frame/LCR ankle rig I have found so far.
    Hi Chuck - I wondered why you prefer the Uncle Mike's rig for medium autos, rather than the one for J-frames ?

A buddy of mine is looking for an ankle rig for use on the job. He's a contractor/carpenter & usually is wearing Carharts. His J frame is a humpback Airweight 638.

Thanks - I know this thread is a month old, but my friend recently mentioned his need for an ankle holster and I found this thread while doing a search

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    The Alessi / 5 Shot look like great comfy rigs though, that being said, it says they are designed for low carry on the ankle - that would be my only concern. I don't know the solution for that! It is probably carry somewhere else.
    The solution is like anything else with carrying a weapon. You have to make some adjustments in your clothing selection. Maybe it means pants with a longer hem than normal. Maybe it means pants with a wider cut at the cuff. The other technique is to wear a sock on the outside of the holster pulled up around it. There may still be a bulge if the pants ride up, but it won't be an obvious holster. Now anyone who knows what to look for may still see it as what it is. But that's true of most gun/holster set ups. It's a balancing act. The more concealed the weapon, the slower it will be to get into action.

ETA: Like anything it can be done properly or half-ass. When I eat lunch at places frequented by fellow LEO's I often see them sitting down with their ankle gun halfway or even completely exposed. These are typically the LEO's who shoot only when required by their agency and their ankle gun is their only weapon in duty. Luckily for them most of the public is oblivious.
    Last edited by El Cid; 05-10-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    They come with thumb breaks too... Ask the CIA, FBI and Air Marshals how they like theirs.
    I have one of these holsters for my Glock 26, and it has generally been pretty good compared to other ankle holsters I've tried, however I have a few big complaints:

1. I wish the gun was straight drop rather than canted in the holster. The cant causes the rear sights of the g26 to print.
    2. Like others said, it needs a thumb break, albeit as minimal of a thumb break as possible to avoid excess printing.
    3. Mine wore out after about 3 years of daily use to the point where the gun sags away from my ankle and slides around to the back of my leg no matter how tight i cinch it down. I haven't been impressed with the way it has broken in/worn.

Quote Originally Posted by givo08 View Post
    I have one of these holsters for my Glock 26, and it has generally been pretty good compared to other ankle holsters I've tried, however I have a few big complaints:

1. I wish the gun was straight drop rather than canted in the holster. The cant causes the rear sights of the g26 to print.
    2. Like others said, it needs a thumb break, albeit as minimal of a thumb break as possible to avoid excess printing.
    3. Mine wore out after about 3 years of daily use to the point where the gun sags away from my ankle and slides around to the back of my leg no matter how tight i cinch it down. I haven't been impressed with the way it has broken in/worn.
    I use a straight drop for the Glock and similar pistols for the reason you state. I have not seen a need for a thumb break (unless it is LH rig, which doesn't allow you to mold the ejection port), but it is an option. Surprised to see you wore it out in such a short time. I have been using one daily for many years with no noticeable wear (other than a bit on the felt). Was yours made by Lou or did you purchase it after he passed away?

Cool Breeze - sorry, didn't see your question until now. I couldn't tell you. Mine is very close, and the basic design is the same, but I have never directly compared them.

User Tag List