Thread: .264 Win Mag loads

Site Supporter

.264 Win Mag loads

A buddy of mine owes me a couple hundred bucks from a previous deal and offered me his Remington 700 in .264 Win Mag instead of the cash. I saw the rifle a year or two ago when he picked it up used and I seem to remember it being in decent shape with a 24"-ish barrel. He hasn't shot it since he bought it, but there are an unknown number of rounds through the gun. I don't know much about the .264 Win in general except that it has the reputation of being a barrel burner and has pretty much been overshadowed by the 7mm Rem Mag in terms of performance and popularity.

On paper, I like the idea of the .264; with 120-140 gr., bullets, it should have pretty mild recoil (for a belted magnum) and shoot pretty flat. There are however, some problems... factory ammunition options are extremely limited and expensive. Brass isn't the easiest thing to find either. Also, I'm pretty sure the twist rate is 1:9 so I'm probably not going to be able to take advantage of the super-high BC bullets available in 6.5 like the 140 gr. Berger VLD. Additionally, everything I've read says that the 24" tube is likely too short. Further complicating things is the fact that CA will soon ban the use of lead bullets for hunting in the state and I can't find any factory lead-free loadings.

I don't reload, but I have a buddy that will help me get some rounds loaded up if I buy the dies and components. I plan to purchase 5 or so boxes of Nosler ammo and use the fire-formed brass for load development. So, I'm eyeing a couple of bullets in particular to get started but I'm having trouble coming up with any load data as the manuals that I was flipping through looked pretty old...

- 123 gr. Lapua Scenar: because what's the fun in having a flat shooting 6.5 if you can't sling long, skinny high-BC bullets at the range?

- 120 gr. Barnes TTSX: this would be the go-to hunting round. I've seen a few animals shot with the TSX/TTSX bullets and I'm pretty impressed with the penetration and the weight retention in the bullets we recovered. Additionally, I'll have a couple years to hoard the things ahead of the upcoming lead ban.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me towards a manual that might have load data for these bullets. Additionally, if my scheme is totally harebrained, please feel free to let me know.

I realize there is a slim chance that the throat is already torched and I might be wasting my time. If that's the case, I'm getting a Remington 700 action for $200 that I can use for a future project so it isn't a total loss.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

The 264 is my Fave.. The 120 gr TSX-TTSX is an outstandig choice..

On load data... all my stuff is still in storage after the big D.. I know my guns like Magnum, I'd ask this over on 24HR campfire or accurte reloading.. those guys live this stuff.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

The old rangemaster at my job was a .264 guy, big time. His favorite caliber for deer and elk. I have little experience, but all of the guys I know that liked the .264 REALLY liked it.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the heads up on the other 24hourcampfire and AccurateReloading. This is the only forum I frequent anymore and I appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I'm still waiting for my account to be approved at both sites... I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

I should be able to get hands on the rifle next week, and I should hopefully be shooting it shortly thereafter. What kind of accuracy should I really expect with a 30+ year old hunting rifle shooting (for now) factory ammo? I've read about the "bad old days" of factory hunting rifle/ammo accuracy where a 1 MOA rifle was something really special and 2" groups were the norm. My current go-to hunting rifles are an LMT MRP CQB in 5.56 and a Remington 700 LTR in 308win... I have basically zero field experience with any purpose-built hunting guns, particularly of this vintage.

Site Supporter
    If you don't handload, you will spend mucho dinero on ammo. Awesome cartridge though. It'll shoot flat and fast, but you're not wrong about it being a barn burner. I'd keep it for what it is...a hard hitting rifle with a nice long maximum point blank range.

Good those guys will get you lined out. its been a wile since i was on those sites but they are hard core rifle loonies..

Man the accuracy thing is a WAG... you'll just have to see..

The Branes bullet web site has a "club" thing you can join for a fee and see there reloading data... good stuff to.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

The link says pistol, but there are tabs for shotgun and rifle.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/

Those two should get you going. Since you have a reloader to help you, I would consider just buying brass and not factory ammo. Midway has Nosler .264 brass in stock. You're going to develop a handload anyway, why screw around shooting something else?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Those two should get you going. Since you have a reloader to help you, I would consider just buying brass and not factory ammo. Midway has Nosler .264 brass in stock. You're going to develop a handload anyway, why screw around shooting something else?
    Well my thought was that it would be cheaper for me to buy a box or two of the nosler stuff and see how the rifle shoots before buying powder, brass, primers, bullets, etc.

User Tag List