Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car seat query

Car seat query

ALCON,
    Had a few questions regarding the installation of a car seat. Our first child is due very soon, and everything we've learned points towards infant car seats should be in the center portion of the back seat. Our 2014 Hyundai Tucson advises against this in the owner's manual, instead advocating placement of the car seat to the rear of the driver or passenger.

What's the consensus here?

Thanks!

My two kids were just 13 months apart so the center-seat option was short lived. My 3 year old g'baby however, rides in the middle. I would guess the current wisdom dictates that arrangement offers them more protection from a side impact and I personally concur with that notion. Once children are big enough to start wearing seatbelts however, I think they need to be located behind one of the front seats if at all possible.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 11-12-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I could see installing in the center would give some offset protection from either side impact or deployment of side/curtain airbags. My wife and I installed our seats behind the driver side primarily due to your problem, room constraints with a Subaru WRX and Honda Accord. We chose drivers side as it's convenient if you're solo, kiddo is on your side. From a cop, trained/certified installer I'd worry more about a good quality seat instead of putting it in the middle. YMMV. It gets worse when the out grow the infant carrier and go to a rear facing seat. Those things are monsters!!!

PS: congrats, our kiddo #2 arrives next month!
    Last edited by MD7305; 11-12-2015 at 09:14 PM.

http://alexandriava.gov/sheriff/default.aspx?id=71332

I'd recommend the center. If you drop the baby getting him or her out of the seat-it happens and no one plans it-dropping the baby on the seat is a bit less dramatic than a parking lot. When the baby gets a little bigger it's much harder to accidentally shut and hand or foot in the door-it happens and no one plans on it.

Ultimately the carseat needs to be mounted in the seat that it has the most secure fit, the width or shape of the Hyundia's seat may prevent a car seat from being safely mounted in the center.
    Last edited by pablo; 11-12-2015 at 09:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    I got 12 week old twins so they roll with one on each side. I can see the center and that is how our friends with singles roll.

Also probably depends how the middle seat belt is done. I can see side pillar attachment being stronger. Would also depend how the car seat base attaches via the seat belt or metal brackets in the crease of the seat.

Congrats!!! It is quite a ride.

Go for LATCH attachment over seat belts if at all possible. Your Hyundai should be new enough to utilize LATCH but it may only offer LATCH on either side but not the center.

Fred,

If you wish, PM me a phone number and I will have a child passenger safety technician contact you with specific info for your vehicle and car seat. My organization oversees the child passenger safety training program for LA, so no problem having an expert give you a call.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Go for LATCH attachment over seat belts if at all possible. Your Hyundai should be new enough to utilize LATCH but it may only offer LATCH on either side but not the center.
    Absolutely - latches are quite possibly the best invention since sliced bread, but I haven't seen any cars that utilize them for the middle seat unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Center placement may be ideal, but for practical reasons, I've always placed mine on the passenger side.

We would have preferred to use the center but with no LATCH options for the center position and the Subaru and Toyota manuals advising against the center position, we went with behind the passenger seat for our infant and now toddler car seats. Agree that rear facing toddler seats are beasts.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List