Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairfax County Ad Hoc Police Commission

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    The things that go with dope are all very bad.
    Word. Petty theft, burglary, assault, robbery, and shootings all go with it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Word. Petty theft, burglary, assault, robbery, and shootings all go with it.
    I don't doubt it but honestly, is it going to stop? The drug war has been going on since the 70's.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don't doubt it but honestly, is it going to stop? The drug war has been going on since the 70's.
    Of course it's not going to stop. But decriminalizing drugs would make it grow exponentially. Personally I don't care to turn our society into a place where I have to live in a fortified compound with broken glass cemented into the top of my wall.

How much personal experience do you have with people who have chronic drug problems? People whose lives revolve around drugs and are unable to function?

Putting the substantial criminal effects aside, if you're lucky enough not to have that experience, check out the A&E TV series intervention to give you an idea of the havoc drugs wreak on families.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How much personal experience do you have with people who have chronic drug problems? People whose lives revolve around drugs and are unable to function?
    My mother's immediate family all had this (all of her siblings, not her) in one way or the other. I disowned them the day she died. Jail didn't help, money didn't help, nothing helped. Their kids turned out like hell too except for the ones that the father (married my mother's sister) got custody of but single fathers usually kick ass if they have custody in my experience. I suspect they're on all on the dole now. No one could help them.
    #RESIST

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    It's amazing how easy it is to pop a career criminal/burglar for dope opposed to how hard it is to catch a career criminal burglarizing something. The end result is that the career burglar goes into the joint for a few years and he isn't on the streets victimizing people.
    This is the bit that I like to ask people who complain about how many people are in jail on "non-violent drug offenses". I always ask them what the arrest record of those people are, what charges were initially brought vs. the ones that were actually disposed of in court, etc. They usually look at me like I have three heads because in most cases they are completely unaware of how the criminal justice system actually works.

Low hanging fruit gets picked and tons of legit charges get negotiated away or just dropped in favor of the charges that are easy to prosecute or get a plea deal on.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    My mother's immediate family all had this (all of her siblings, not her) in one way or the other. I disowned them the day she died. Jail didn't help, money didn't help, nothing helped. Their kids turned out like hell too except for the ones that the father (married my mother's sister) got custody of but single fathers usually kick ass if they have custody in my experience. I suspect they're on all on the dole now. No one could help them.
    Exactly what / whom I was talking about.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    It is impossible to fix people against their will.

I've seen this stuff all my life doing charity work and the like.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 08-19-2015 at 08:11 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It is impossible to fix people against their will.

I've seen this stuff all my life doing charity work and the like.
    Yes, I've never regretted removing them from my life.
    #RESIST

Humans have been abusing substances as long as we have found things to abuse. Much of the control is based on societal norms. The key is for society to consider things "bad". Look at Cigarette use over the years. We are paying a price for booze every year. Things have gotten better with more serious punishment for DUI.
    There is no easy answer, but non enforcement and coddling and treating folks who are dope abusers like they have the flu is not the answer. The only thing I have seen work to get people off drugs is for them to hit rock bottom. Everyone has a different rock bottom. A few have no bottom except death and these are the folks living in a filthy cardboard box. For a whole lot of folks, jail and prison is their bottom, unfortunately by the time they get there they are no longer drug users who need to be cleaned out, they are dirtbag criminals who have plea bargained to a dope charge.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Humans have been abusing substances as long as we have found things to abuse. Much of the control is based on societal norms. The key is for society to consider things "bad". Look at Cigarette use over the years. We are paying a price for booze every year. Things have gotten better with more serious punishment for DUI.
    There is no easy answer, but non enforcement and coddling and treating folks who are dope abusers like they have the flu is not the answer. The only thing I have seen work to get people off drugs is for them to hit rock bottom. Everyone has a different rock bottom. A few have no bottom except death and these are the folks living in a filthy cardboard box. For a whole lot of folks, jail and prison is their bottom, unfortunately by the time they get there they are no longer drug users who need to be cleaned out, they are dirtbag criminals who have plea bargained to a dope charge.
    I have no clear cut propositions other than that we should dial it back a bit on certain drugs. I absolutely realize that I am an ignorant bystander speaking with professionals on this. Most of the reason why I injected the drug war bit into this thread is to point that cops have to enforce the laws that others pass so why focus on the police?
    #RESIST

User Tag List