Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairfax County Ad Hoc Police Commission

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I will still follow up with the AUSA's office on monday.
    So, I did ask some pointed questions of an excellent AUSA earlier this week. I will ask one more, who also posts on these boards when I get a chance.

Suffice it to say, his answer really shocked me, and I will not post it here. Sanitized version is: Not only did he not see muzzling as a crime in any way, but he thinks that "we" have a lot more leeway in using lethal force than I think we do. So, he is now my on call lawyer:-)
    You have to remember though, that he is really only concerned about what the 4th Amendment says, not some elected or appointed official who can't read a dictionary.

I will bet you a dollar, as an outgrowth of what has been happening, that in the next few years a whole bunch of procedures related to use of force get looked at closely by politicians, activists and the public at large.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I will bet you a dollar, as an outgrowth of what has been happening, that in the next few years a whole bunch of procedures related to use of force get looked at closely by politicians, activists and the public at large.

That's already happening. Pretty sure it's been happening since about last August.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Article with some info on how different circuits have handled pointing weapons at suspects:
    http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001YWiDq...FUgNOFUdt8cw==
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Article with some info on how different circuits have handled pointing weapons at suspects:
    http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001YWiDq...FUgNOFUdt8cw==
    John, very interesting -- thanks for posting this.

The obvious question, that the court did not appear to consider, was whether there was an alternative that would have balanced the safety concerns of the officer with the concerns of the muzzled. That alternative in this instance, of course, was for the officer to draw his pistol to a ready position, with the muzzle not covering the person.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    http://oemp.level2hosting.com/system...ge/15_0010.pdf

Do you have a source for the full text of that proposed initiative?

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Do you have a source for the full text of that proposed initiative?
    I wasn't able to find a specific law they want passed. The CA state website says basically the same thing as the proposed initiative I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    So, I did ask some pointed questions of an excellent AUSA earlier this week. I will ask one more, who also posts on these boards when I get a chance.

Suffice it to say, his answer really shocked me, and I will not post it here. Sanitized version is: Not only did he not see muzzling as a crime in any way, but he thinks that "we" have a lot more leeway in using lethal force than I think we do. So, he is now my on call lawyer:-)
    You have to remember though, that he is really only concerned about what the 4th Amendment says, not some elected or appointed official who can't read a dictionary.
    May want to forward his number to McKinney PD........
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    That's already happening. Pretty sure it's been happening since about last August.
    This ball is rolling and IMHO the efforts should be to focus "policies" on the training department and training philosophy rather than focus policies/rules on officers. Based on what I have learned here in these forums and in direct discussions, the talking points should focus on increasing budgets for training LE, adding more CIT training, and creating policies that guide training so that officers can manage the Use of Force Continuum effectively and confidently. If they don't get adequate training, the number of shootings from officers who draw their firearms and point them too early in the incident will rise. And, when it rises more unsavory media exposure and the more politicians will want to micromanage. Seems to me LE has to get ahead of this or face onerous policies and rules and consequences.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List