Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RO/SO epic FAIL!

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    I think they are taping targets. I can see the tape trailing in the hands and they are focused on the cardboard not the ground.
    Not that it makes a huge difference, but there appears to be a bag of brass in the other hand, and had his back to the targets when you first see him. An oblivious brass-rat.

We are diminished
    Based on gear and targets, it's a USPSA match, not an IDPA match. I don't know why that matters but since the chance to malign IDPA seemed evident, neener neener.

At the end of the day, this is the RO's fault. Yes, everyone is responsible for safety. Yes, the brass rat should have been paying attention ... it's his life on the line, for goodness sake. Yes, the competitor should have been aware of what was happening downrange. But the RO is there to maintain safety and allowing a stage to begin without verifying the downrange area is clear of bipedal mammals is a cardinal offense. He should have his NROI credentials pulled and be forced to go back through training before running a range again.

That's a bunch of extremely lucky people right there. I think several just cashed in their "one free pass" cards.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Wow. I would be cursing people out.

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    To me the most interesting part of the video is the total confusion for all participants. Lots of "Hey, whats going on?",
    of course the "what is going on" is very clear, but there is not one "cease fire!" either by the participants or the SO.
    Thankfully the most important person executed a cease fire.

Man, that sure is scary. Damned lucky that nobody got hurt or killed. Ive only shot small local matches where the stages aren't as complicated with barriers and stuff, so I can't really relate to not being able to see the whole stage before starting. Do RO/SO as larger matches work in pairs; one prepping the next competitor while the one that just got done running the shooter makes sure the range is clear on his way back?

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Thankfully the most important person executed a cease fire.

Man, that sure is scary.
    That, and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    That's a bunch of extremely lucky people right there. I think several just cashed in their "one free pass" cards.
    And this.

It's gotten to the point where I'm so far beyond disliking public ranges that I've moved my flinty cynic's eye on to organized classes and match courses as the new den of public derp. I just don't trust anyone anymore.

Upon a couple more viewings, one can see that when he engages his 7th (I think) target, right before hitting #8 and passing through the first white screens, his rounds are kicking up dust from the berm right in front of where "no-shoot guy" is standing. Damn, dudes.

Also, I think everyone is just damn lucky that he hit slide lock and got a look around before completing that speed reload. Guardian Angels coinciding with magazine capacity, FTW.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 03-22-2015 at 06:48 PM.

I think I see our own GJM's name on the scores for this club with the RO. Maybe he has the backstory?

Internet rumor is that the RO... isn't one.

http://www.havasupractical.com/websc.../LBA150321.txt

On the incident: Wow. Just wow. It is hard to believe how lucky these folks are no one was shot or killed.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    But the RO is there to maintain safety and allowing a stage to begin without verifying the downrange area is clear of bipedal mammals is a cardinal offense. He should have his NROI credentials pulled and be forced to go back through training before running a range again.
    Reference the RO retraining, would it be an overreaction by the Club / Facility President to shut down all competition at this range until each and every participant received retraining on range safety? This seems like a complete failure in every respect, from those directing the match and participants, those directed to tape targets (or whatever they were doing), the RO?

I mean, as a future competitor at where ever this took place, I'd want some assurance that steps were taken so that this NEVER EVER happened again.

Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    On the incident: Wow. Just wow. It is hard to believe how lucky these folks are no one was shot or killed.

Reference the RO retraining, would it be an overreaction by the Club / Facility President to shut down all competition at this range until each and every participant received retraining on range safety? This seems like a complete failure in every respect, from those directing the match and participants, those directed to tape targets (or whatever they were doing), the RO?

I mean, as a future competitor at where ever this took place, I'd want some assurance that steps were taken so that this NEVER EVER happened again.
    Yes, it would be.

I wouldn't throw the MD and "participants" under the bus. #1 is RO, #2 is Mr. Noshoot. I don't know if it is being double plugged, or listening to music, or just being that intent on brass but that is no bueno. I'm no code red situational awareness gunfighter guy, but being oblivious to the buzzer, not to mention someone shooting a stage- is a pretty serious failure. Just being downrange and seeing nobody else around me would be a warning to me, and if I was downrange and heard a buzzer I would be screaming stop with everything my lungs could muster.

Constantly shooing the brass rats to back behind the firing line is annoying. Shoot the stage, then pick up brass after. Next squad can walkthrough or whatever... but don't hold the match up in between shooters on your squad for a few cents worth of metal. Doubly so if you aren't pulling your weight with the taping.

Holy fracking sh*t snacks. I hope that's the scariest, luckiest, craziest moment of all of their collective lives that gives them a wake up call to never eff with Mr Murphy again. Wow!
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List