Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RO/SO epic FAIL!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Regarding the video itself, I'm surprised that given that the RO laziness/ineptitude in question had already happened:

a) the guy downrange didn't hear the "load and make ready" and yell stop
    b) when the shooter started shooting, he didn't hit the deck immediately while yelling stop
    This one of the reasons I prefer active hearing protection.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-23-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This one of the reasons I prefer active hearing protection.
    I posted this elsewhere, but I used to take my plugs out when pasting, in part so I could hear range commands better, before I got Sordins. Now I can hear BETTER than natural.

What I want to know is how often stuff like this happens that we never hear about?

JR1572

I'm obsessive about clearing downrange after scoring and taping.
    Even after double and triple checking under, over and around barricades and props I'll yell "Going Hot!" and do the train crossing "stop, look, listen" before I start in with my shooter.
    My wife (who is usually the scorer on the stages I RO) is a real ballbuster when it comes to making people reset, tape and then get out of the way so we rarely have any lolligaggers but it never hurts to triple check.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    At the end of the day, this is the RO's fault. Yes, everyone is responsible for safety. Yes, the brass rat should have been paying attention ... it's his life on the line, for goodness sake. Yes, the competitor should have been aware of what was happening downrange. But the RO is there to maintain safety and allowing a stage to begin without verifying the downrange area is clear of bipedal mammals is a cardinal offense. He should have his NROI credentials pulled and be forced to go back through training before running a range again.
    Those were some of my exact thoughts as well when I first saw this video.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Do RO/SO as larger matches work in pairs; one prepping the next competitor while the one that just got done running the shooter makes sure the range is clear on his way back?
    I've had it both ways. At one sectional match, I was one of 3 ROs on the stage. The HMFIC RO that ran the shooter, an RO to run the scoreboard and watch for procedurals, and a third to call the shooters up and help keep them "motivated" to help paste and reset. Another state match, I was the only RO on the stage . . . that one sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    If this was a club level match, there's a better than even chance that the RO has no creds to pull. Most likely he was just a volunteer running the timer. RO training and certification is only required at major matches.

When I did my NROI training back a million years ago, one of the things that they emphasized is that the RO should be the last man off the stage. It's not a rule (a rule that you can't enforce is just advice) but it is a good habit to maintain when you're running a timer. Failing to do this was probably the first link in this incident.
    ^^ This! My NROI Instructor made a similar point in my training and it's something I make sure to do. Every time I run a squad on a stage I make sure to be the last one off the stage after everything is pasted an reset. Takes a few extra seconds but it's a helluva lot better than having to call an ambulance because someone caught one in the chest. If something like that happened on my watch, I don't think I could stand myself.

When I used to SO at IDPA matches (when I used to shoot IDPA matches) I developed the habit of of starting off with, "Now that the range is clear and the targets are taped, Shooter, please face down range, Load and Make Ready!"

I did this to make myself take a final look at the range and the targets to double check that it was clear and the targets taped. I have known the heartache of turning in a smoking run on a stage only to see the last 2 targets were not taped and know I would have to reshoot the damn thing. Now, with the IDPA rule changes, people would probably bitch because it's not the "Official Start Procedure."

While I never had anything as dangerous as in the video happen, it always pissed me off when people would clown around in the stage, ie. beeping the timer, yelling stuff, talking while I am starting the shooter.

Shooting is serious bidnuss, yo.

Gringop

Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List