Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about wheel guns

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Perfect, thanks. Too bad they don't offer a 014 for the 929. I really like it for my STI.

I think I am going to get a Speed-e-rack. I played with it at the Steel Nationals, and it seems nice and Jerry (who I think knows a little about wheel guns) uses them.

Did you change any of the springs?
    Springs in the gun? Yeah, I put in a Brownells action kit with a 13 pound recoil spring, and then dry fire a lot. GROW STRONGER SHOOT MORE BETTER

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Springs in the gun? Yeah, I put in a Brownells action kit with a 13 pound recoil spring, and then dry fire a lot. GROW STRONGER SHOOT MORE BETTER
    This one?
    http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...r-prod740.aspx

Any particular tools beyond the normal gun hand tools you would used, or wish you had?

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    This one?
    http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...r-prod740.aspx

Any particular tools beyond the normal gun hand tools you would used, or wish you had?

If you are going to be playing with rebound slide springs do yourself a favor and get a rebound slide spring tool. By the way, for rebound slide springs you might want to try a 14lb spring--sometime the 13's are just too light and you will find that you skip chambers when firing.

Jerry (who might know a thing or two about the wheelie guns) shows how to get it done with a screwdriver and a ballpoint pen:

Hmm that old guy seems kind of sketchy, I wonder if I can find a real expert like Nut n Fancy.

I was actually looking for your video, but it seems what I remembered was actually for the Ruger wheel gun.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Jerry (who might know a thing or two about the wheelie guns) shows how to get it done with a screwdriver and a ballpoint pen:
    Yes, but Jerry is an expert with very good dexterity. Not having much dexterity (or eyesight anymore), and having driven myself crazy with a screwdriver, I've found that the rebound slide tool was a very good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Yes, but Jerry is an expert with very good dexterity. Not having much dexterity (or eyesight anymore), and having driven myself crazy with a screwdriver, I've found that the rebound slide tool was a very good idea!
    I would've ordered it, but it was out of stock.

I did order the Magnatip S&W set, as I seem to be missing two of those bits, and it was cheaper to order it as a set.

FWIW, one can be improvised using a small flat screwdriver. The cheap ones like they used to give out at auto parts sores are great if you want to bend the neck. I have seen some where guys notch the tip so it is like the one you buy or you can put a nipple on the end like the guy in the video linked below:
    https://youtu.be/A0nUJePqV_U
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 03-25-2015 at 12:48 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    FWIW, one can be improvised using a small flat screwdriver. The cheap ones like they used to give out at auto parts sores are great if you want to bend the neck. I have seen some where guys notch the tip so it is like the one you buy or you can put a nipple on the end like the guy in the video linked below:
    https://youtu.be/A0nUJePqV_U
    Interesting, I might do that.

I did something similar, by cutting a notch in a spare small screwdriver bit, to help grasp the legs of springs on Sigs and XDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Oh I totally agree, and Jerry makes it look a lot easier than it actually is for the most of us. I just like this video because it shows how simple it can be once you've done it 10,000 times.

User Tag List