Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about wheel guns

Talk to me about wheel guns

I bought a S&W 929, and I am pretty clueless about them. I know I probably need a few packs of moon clips from Hearthco/TK Custom.

Are are the best grip options available? I am not a fan of Hogue rubber grips.

What holsters are best for competition?

What needs to be lubricated or cleaned, and how often?

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    I bought a S&W 929, and I am pretty clueless about them. I know I probably need a few packs of moon clips from Hearthco/TK Custom.

4wheelguns.com is another good source.

Grips are subjective and a never ending quest for many revolver owners and shooters. Hogue also makes good wood grips.

What type of competition? ICORE? USPSA? Steel Challenge?

Cleaning, clean the cylinders, cylinder face, under the extractor star, recoil shield, and around the forcing cone. Light lube at the ejector rod.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

USPSA, maybe some ICORE I suppose, if I can do it with the same equipment as USPSA.

USPSA, maybe some ICORE I suppose, if I can do it with the same equipment as USPSA.
    Yep. The website I linked has some decent gear for those types of shooting sports. The ones you were looking at are pretty good too. I can't recommend a specific holster though as there's no ICORE close to me and I run IDPAesque gear for SCSA and USPSA when I shoot it.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

You can get the Hogues without he finger grooves, but otherwise you should probably go with Hogue wood stocks or the Miculek grips. For holsters your best bet is going to be something from Safariland, either the 14 set up for a wheel or the Cup Competition model. I also have a Blade-Tech DOH race holster for my 986, but it's not as good.

On the TI guns, you'll want to keep the center spoke that the cylinder revolves on pretty well lubed. Also, the tolerances on my 929 are pretty tight, so I find myself scrubbing carbon fouling off because it can bind up the cylinder.

Is there a specific reason every one loves the 686 that's the only thing I hear in 6 inch 357 magnum ...........i love my 586 I like ti clean it make it shine it is accurate as far as I can shoot 75 yards is it a stainless thing because I do hind them attractive too

thanks Jason!

My 625 came with the rubber Hogue grip. It was okay but left me wanting. I replaced it with a S&W wood grip that I liked better but still didn't feel like a home run. I plan to try some VZ grips next.

https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/smith-wesson/

El Cid,
    The VZ grips looks to be about what I am looking for. I like high traction grips.

Caleb,
    Hmm what should I put in to find a holster for it on Safariland's website? There is no option for the 929.

Also where do I lube the center spoke. Is it via the ejection rod, or is it around it?

El Cid,
    The VZ grips looks to be about what I am looking for. I like high traction grips.

Caleb,
    Hmm what should I put in to find a holster for it on Safariland's website? There is no option for the 929.

Also where do I lube the center spoke. Is it via the ejection rod, or is it around it?
    Holsters for a six inch N-frame should work with the 929. I use this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/133...ProductFinding

As far as lube goes, when I clean the gun (yes) I'll hold the star in the up position and drop a couple of drops on that, then run it up and down a few times. Not a lot, like literally one or two drops.

Perfect, thanks. Too bad they don't offer a 014 for the 929. I really like it for my STI.

I think I am going to get a Speed-e-rack. I played with it at the Steel Nationals, and it seems nice and Jerry (who I think knows a little about wheel guns) uses them.

Did you change any of the springs?

User Tag List