Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extractors

Extractors

Not just 1911 or BHP extractors, but JMB locked breech, tilt bbl extractor design and function. First some pics to seed the ground:

The S80 extractors are from "semi-custom" and "custom shops" and the S70 extractor is from a "tier 1" gunsmiths shop.

All, except the BHP (obviously) are 45ACP extractors.

Not a single one is properly made. Material, finish, or design, take your pick, all are wrong. As the week goes on, internal vs external (believe it or not, internal extractors have some big inherent advantages), proper material selection (believe it or not, MIM'ing this part isn't inherently bad), and why you should be happy that guys like Jason Burton spend so much time preping and polishing a part 99% of his customers never even see.

Site Supporter
    I like where this thread is going...

Bill,

Have you been to any armorer's schools? Gunsmith colleges or classes? Taught at any?

Site Supporter
    I'm intrigued by this thread. As always thanks for sharing your insights with us.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Bill,

Have you been to any armorer's schools? Gunsmith colleges or classes? Taught at any?
    Nope. No armorer's schools, no gunsmith colleges or classes. Never taught at one, either.

I have, however, an earned engineering doctorate, several patents issued, had my professional publications cited over a hundred times, and have been granted professional engineer licenses in about 20 states now. I teach engineering at the undergraduate (including materials and processes, kinematics, and machine design) and graduate level (non ferrous alloys, nuclear engineering, corrosion, failure analysis, and fracture mechanics), but not at any gunsmithing schools though.

Why do you ask? Is there something covered in a 5 day armorers school that is missed in 9 years of engineering school?

Bill, this section is called Ask the Armorer. The forum description is "Dedicated area for asking certified armorers technical questions about the proper care and repair of handguns."

I know a lot about AR-15 rifles, but my armorers cert expired a few years ago. I know a lot about Glocks, but I don't post here because I'm not a certified armorer.

It would be false advertising. I'm sure you understand.

Site Supporter
    Jay,

Could you move this thread as appropriate? I'm curious to hear Bill's thoughts on this.

Oh for fucksakes. Seriously? Thread still belongs here. Let's just drive on.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Nope. No armorer's schools, no gunsmith colleges or classes. Never taught at one, either.

Why do you ask? Is there something covered in a 5 day armorers school that is missed in 9 years of engineering school?
    And that's the crux of the issue. If anything covered in a 5 day armorer's class was taught in engineering school, I'm pretty sure you got ripped off. I don't doubt your engineering credentials, but I don't think you are qualified to discuss weapons design at the level you attempt to. I also don't consider you qualified to work on 1911's or other guns, and while there are a lot of bad gunsmiths out there, your continual insults to the trade tire me. When I post information, I try to make sure it is based on reality, and not theory. There's a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Oh for fucksakes. Seriously? Thread still belongs here. Let's just drive on.
    How about let's leave the moderating to Staff. Thanks.

User Tag List