Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extractors

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I don't doubt your engineering credentials, but I don't think you are qualified to discuss weapons design at the level you attempt to.
    With absolutely no disrespect intended, I think you are vastly underestimating Bill's credentials.

Bill, I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on the issue.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Not sure what happened to Bill's gunsmithing reputation while I was sleeping, but I'll note that numerous members here have sent guns to Bill for work including ToddG. I realize that Bill poo poo's some famous 1911 smiths but I always chalked that up to eccentric arrogant professor behaviour (which is common among PhDs) and took it with a grain of salt.

I have not noted anyone on this forum downplaying Bill's abilities before, and in fact, his technical posts are usually eagerly followed. Did Bill create some epic fail that I am unaware of, or did he denigrate someone's relative for poor gunsmithing ability?

Site Supporter
    And I note that Bill has not been here since the first page. He's one of the guys that when he has something to say, I pay close attention. Extractors are the most critical part on a Browning system pistol for reliable function. We'd do well to try and learn more about them.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Bill- Like SLG said, it would be really helpful to hear why the materials, heat treating, shape, etc. are important to a good functioning extractor. I would also like to know why you would think MIM is a good method of manufacturing extractors as I thought that Colt had tried that around the mid 2000's and had premature failures.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Given Colt's experience with MIM extractors, I'm interested in Bill's take on this as well. Bill will undoubtedly tell us it's because Colt doesn't know what they're doing but he does. However, despite his arrogant condescension of anything that doesn't come out of his own brain, I do find his opinion valuable.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

When Bill talks I listen. Carry on.

To all:

There seems to be some misunderstanding of some issues involved here, so I'll try to set the story straight. As some of you have noted, I can come off a bit arrogant and/or condescending. I don't try to, but sometimes I assume everyone sees a situation like I do. I also have developed a bit of an online character flaw - I tend to start threads and take them to 50% completion and get side tracked then forget about them. I truly appreciate some of the compliments I've been given in this thread, but SLG is correct, I'm not a gunsmith. I don't ever want to be a gunsmith. This has always been just a hobby to me. I always approached the topic at hand academically, because that is how it interested me. And SLG is quite correct, I've bashed a few in the trade. I'm not trying to make a living in this industry, and beating on people who are, for whatever reason, was unfair and uncalled for on my part. So consider this an open, public apology for that. I don't know everything, nor to I want to imply that I do.

After discussions with Tom and a few other people, I'm going to bow out of this for the simple reason that I don't have the time nor experience with firearms to do this forum justice with respect to the level of content it strives to have. And that is the crux of some of the issues. I'm busy. I was unaware of a set of constraints on a project with respect to schedule, and did not understand the ramifications. Again, I apologize. I bit off more than I could chew, and others paid the price.

Again, thank you for the compliments, and I apologize I can't live up to the expectation right now.

Cheers,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    To all:

There seems to be some misunderstanding of some issues involved here, so I'll try to set the story straight. As some of you have noted, I can come off a bit arrogant and/or condescending. I don't try to, but sometimes I assume everyone sees a situation like I do. I also have developed a bit of an online character flaw - I tend to start threads and take them to 50% completion and get side tracked then forget about them. I truly appreciate some of the compliments I've been given in this thread, but SLG is correct, I'm not a gunsmith. I don't ever want to be a gunsmith. This has always been just a hobby to me. I always approached the topic at hand academically, because that is how it interested me. And SLG is quite correct, I've bashed a few in the trade. I'm not trying to make a living in this industry, and beating on people who are, for whatever reason, was unfair and uncalled for on my part. So consider this an open, public apology for that. I don't know everything, nor to I want to imply that I do.

After discussions with Tom and a few other people, I'm going to bow out of this for the simple reason that I don't have the time nor experience with firearms to do this forum justice with respect to the level of content it strives to have. And that is the crux of some of the issues. I'm busy. I was unaware of a set of constraints on a project with respect to schedule, and did not understand the ramifications. Again, I apologize. I bit off more than I could chew, and others paid the price.

Again, thank you for the compliments, and I apologize I can't live up to the expectation right now.

Cheers,

Bill
    I want to see how that Hi Power ends up, though!

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Bill - I think your threads, in whatever state of completion, contribute a lot to the value of the forum. A forum facilitates discourse... so let's discord.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Bill, could you tell us which extractors and 1911s do work (at least, in your experience)?

here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-MARSOC/page14

you said, regarding 1911s:

post #131: "They don't need hand fit parts anymore than a Glock."

post #139: "I should point out, I just recently won a bet with a copper who "knew" Extractors all need to be fitted......by swapping around 5 extractors from 5 different NRM S70 colts with no ill effects. So......... I did the same thing with 5 CQBs.

And 4 Browns.

And 3 NHCs.

And so on "

User Tag List