Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Triggers Redux -- Archer Edition

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Part swap experiment today with my -46 serial number Glock 19.

From the factory: 7# 2oz ... from the factory it had no locking block pin, surprise!

From the factory after adding locking block pin: 7#

Replace stock striker block with Apex striker block: 7#

Apex striker block plus Taran Tactical striker block spring: 6# 12oz (-4oz)

Apex striker block, Taran striker block spring, Taran Tactical connector: 6# 2oz (-10oz)

Apex striker block, Taran striker block spring, Taran connector, 5# striker spring: 5# 8oz (-10oz)

All of the above plus a polishing job utilizing my expert skills: 5# 8oz (no change, waste of half an hour)
    Whaa whaa.

Qualitatively, the Taran Tactical connector made the biggest change in trigger feel. It became very much a non-stop rolling break. The 5# striker spring removed some of that quality as did my polishing. I'm going to give the gun a chance to wear in a bit and see if it improves, then add back the stock striker spring for evaluation.

I've also got a Taran Tactical trigger spring inbound.

All weights were taken with an NRA weight set from the middle of the trigger after the trigger safety had been disengaged.
    To clarify:

1. Was your gun using the dot connector beforehand?
    2. By "non-stop rolling break," do you mean that the connector removed some or all of the "wall" in the Glock trigger?

Additionally, how is the pre-travel weight with your described setup?

I was just looking at the Taran site out of curiosity and note that connector sells as a kit or just the one part.

Which did you use?
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    1. Was your gun using the dot connector beforehand?
    Yes. It was a bone stock standard gen4 G19.

2. By "non-stop rolling break," do you mean that the connector removed some or all of the "wall" in the Glock trigger?
    It all but made the "wall" disappear and felt almost like a very light, short reset DA revolver.

Additionally, how is the pre-travel weight with your described setup?
    I haven't measured it. Qualitatively I'd say it's light but you can feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I was just looking at the Taran site out of curiosity and note that connector sells as a kit or just the one part.
    Which did you use?
    I'd bought just the connector. But I also ended up getting the striker block spring (two come with the kit) and have the trigger spring (two come with the kit) on their way. The only thing I'm not using is his reduced striker spring because my hope is that I can get the trigger where I want it without needing a non-stock spring; and his polished pin. It's probably a toss-up price wise depending on how far you want to take things.

Thanks for the input.

Did you notice a change in the force of the reset? And, finally, are you aware of a method other than the NY1 spring that'll increase the pre-travel weight?

(ideally, I'd want a constant weight all the way through the pull, with a firm and short reset point)

We are diminished
    sboers, I didn't really get too wrapped up around the reset strength because I was juggling so many parts changes. Also, as someone who's been shooting guns with weaker resets than Glock's for the last while, I don't think it would register for me the way it would for a dedicated Glock guy. What I can tell you is that the gun as it sits right now pushes the finger forward with enough force that I'll never feel like I'm outrunning it. That's all I really care about.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    sboers, I didn't really get too wrapped up around the reset strength because I was juggling so many parts changes. Also, as someone who's been shooting guns with weaker resets than Glock's for the last while, I don't think it would register for me the way it would for a dedicated Glock guy. What I can tell you is that the gun as it sits right now pushes the finger forward with enough force that I'll never feel like I'm outrunning it. That's all I really care about.
    And will continue have a decent reset unless you go to light on the firing pin spring or to heavy on the trigger spring or a combination of both.

Todd your experience with the Taran connector mirrors mine as well. I really like that it has that rolling feel and removes the wall before the break.

I have two different approaches with Glock triggers.

On a game gun, knock yourself out, with any combination of bits and pieces that floats your boat. At the end of the day, if something fails, your score is likely the most that will be hurt. As an example of what can go wrong, I have had a Vanek trigger go to burst mode on two game guns, and no harm was done.

On a gun that I intend to rely on for defense against two or four leg threats, I am going with OEM parts, with the exception of a 5 pound striker spring instead of the OEM 5.5 (since I have vetted that in enough pistols to know it works with any ammo that I am also willing to stake my life on). I put the Glocktriggers Guardian into the OEM parts category, and have tested over a half dozen of them for many thousands of rounds. If those options don't fix the trigger to do good work with it, I would look to see if there is something about the tolerances in that individual Glock that is causing a lousy trigger. If no Glock with the minus and 5 pound striker is satisfactory, I would be looking to another platform.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I've got some 5 LB striker springs on the way to test out.

On my previous post, I got called to dinner before completing my thoughts, on my reasoning behind different approaches for game versus carry triggers.

On gaming, the great thing about the Glock is there are so many after market parts, that you can literally create your own custom combination of part A from one source, part B from another, and on and on, until you have your own one off combination of things you like in making "your" trigger.

Yet the real reason I value the Glock for a carry gun, is there are literally millions of them out there, where every Bubba before you has figured out what could go wrong. Of course that experience is largely with factory guns and parts. So when you leave the realm of factory parts, you become a test pilot and lose much of the benefit of millions of them being out there. Same reason it would be quite a while before I would carry a Magpul magazine -- I want to see them exposed to the masses for a while.

Same reason when Glock introduces anything new, the warts become obvious quickly, and generally get resolved quickly (notable exception being the Gen 4 extractor debacle). The 42 went from iffy to solid in months. Hope the 43 does the same.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List