Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Triggers Redux -- Archer Edition

This thread got me tinkering around with my Gen4 G17 (Duty pistol) springs a bit to see which set-up yields the nicest overall pull.

Started out with a Guardian trigger kit from GlockTriggers.com using a polished Gen3 trigger bar, polished factory "-" connector, and factory weight striker & trigger return springs provided in the kit, which gave me a 5.5lb trigger.

Last night I swapped out the "-" connector for a ZEV TECH "V4 Race connector", a reduced weight safety plunger spring from Wolff (with a polished factory plunger) which gave me an average of 4lb 6oz on my Lyman digital scale.

Im really, really digging this set-up in dry fire so far. Super smooth, rolling break, positive reset. Gonna test it live with a few different types of ammo tonight.

Im going to order a couple of 5lb striker springs from Wolff and the "Reduced" power striker springs from ZEV TECH which claim to give positive primer ignition and drop approx 1lb from the pull, and see how each of those feel in my pistol.
    Last edited by NickDrak; 03-31-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Any striker spring that reduces the Glock trigger pull by 16 oz. or more will be in the 4.0# range or less and too light for long term reliability.

Got a whopping 47 rounds though my Leander G34 with the 4.0 spring tonight. Went bang every time on Everglades Ammo reloads. I'll keep shooting it and counting rounds until I get a failure.

I've had a TTI Glock 17 since late '03. Trigger is 4 lbs 6 oz according to my Lyman digital gauge. Gun has been very reliable.

ToddG - this trigger project sounds intense. In retrospect and hypothetically, would you have been better off with a Gen3 Glock with stock internals and your preferred trigger setup? If not, what is it about the Gen4 you like over the Gen3 that makes all of this worth it?

I ask because, for me, the trigger difference was really the only thing that kept me from going to Gen4 over Gen3 which is why I have no Gen4s. The increased grip texture was enticing but I just decided to stay with the Gen3s - also because I probably thought I didn't need more guns at the time.

We are diminished
    I've found the gen4 guns to be significantly more accurate on average.

I prefer the gen4 mag release, especially if/when I reach the point where I can reverse it.

The stock gen4 grip configuration (no backstrap) is more accommodating of my smallish hands.

And FWIW, most of this effort would have been necessary on a gen3 gun as well (as demonstrated by the number of gen3 shooters responding to this thread).

Thanks for the reply - I actually forgot about the mag release, which I agree is nicer. Looking forward to seeing how this project ends up!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    A minus is a minus. They are not generation specific.

The "dot" connector was developed for ATF and is now the standard for all gen 4 guns. There was also a "dot minus" that was used by a small group and determined unreliable.
    I thought the 'dot' connector was developed at the behest of the Indian Army?

We are diminished
    I added a Taran Tactical trigger spring and saw no change in trigger pull weight. What I did discover today is just how much the measuring spot matters.

My current test platform gun is:
    G19 gen4
    Taran Tactical connector, trigger spring, striker block spring
    Apex striker block
    5# striker spring
    polished trigger bar

Trigger pull weight as measured from center of trigger is five pounds eight ounces. Measured from the tip of the trigger it weighs three pounds ten ounces. Changing the measuring spot reduced the trigger pull "weight" by almost two whole pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I added a Taran Tactical trigger spring and saw no change in trigger pull weight. What I did discover today is just how much the measuring spot matters.
    [/i]
    Yes it does make a big difference on a hinged type Glock trigger. Physics at work, which is also why changing the physical point at which the trigger is pinned to the trigger bar can adjust pull weight. But back to this pull placement, the key is to be consistent on the actual placement each time you take measurements. Also attempt to pull straight to the rear. Pulling up, or down slightly can affect measurements.

With the Glock you will see 3 more common placements which is mid trigger where the placement just defeats the trigger safety, the next being at the end of the trigger safety and the last point of reference is about where the trigger meets the trigger guard. Some really anal people will tape the trigger safety to the rear, make a reference mark on the tape and pull from that point.

User Tag List