Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Capacity vs. Performance

Capacity vs. Performance

Without boring anyone with the intricacies of CA law, I have (and carry) Gen4 9mm Glocks with standard capacity magazines and am limited to 10 rounders for my VP9s. While in a vacuum I would be happy with the performance of each gun, I do find my myself shooting and enjoying the VP9s better. At what performance point do I leave the Glocks at home with their larger capacity magazines and carry the VP9 with its 10 round magazines?

At the point where you mentally take ownership to whichever gun you decide is in fact your primary.

While I personally own andprefer Glocks (and "normal" capacity magazines regardless), I'd hardly feel un-armed with 10 round magazines in a semi-auto; of course, I'd probably as a matter of course commit to carrying 2 spare reload magazines.

Best, Jon

Since I understand your plight, I'd say carry the VP9 and sell me your remaining Gen 4's
    If and when I get a 43 and it's what I expect it to be plus I shoot it well, I'm crazy enough to make it a primary over my 17 and 19 so I won't print at all.
    Seriously, carry the VP9 and a spare mag on you.
    Oh and have spare mags in your car, office etc...

Unless I had some mechanical issues with Glocks, a 10 rounds gun in the same caliber would not even be on my radar screen if I had an option for a 17 rounds gun that's been proven to be very shootable, given appropriate effort.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Unless I had some mechanical issues with Glocks, a 10 rounds gun in the same caliber would not even be on my radar screen if I had an option for a 17 rounds gun that's been proven to be very shootable, given appropriate effort.
    Agree with this!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Without boring anyone with the intricacies of CA law, I have (and carry) Gen4 9mm Glocks with standard capacity magazines and am limited to 10 rounders for my VP9s. While in a vacuum I would be happy with the performance of each gun, I do find my myself shooting and enjoying the VP9s better. At what performance point do I leave the Glocks at home with their larger capacity magazines and carry the VP9 with its 10 round magazines?
    How many people who lost their gunfight lost because they ran out of ammunition? Very, very, very few.

How many people who lost their gunfight lost because they ran out of time? All the rest.

Capacity is nice, but its diminishing returns. Three is better than one, and five is better than three, but once you get up into 8+ its generally a wash as the fight is over one way or the other before you're dry.

Which one do you shoot the accurately the fastest from the holster in the style you would carry daily? Carry that one. I'd take a 10 round mag I shot a tenth of a second faster than a 17 round mag that was that tenth of a second slower for the same accuracy at normal self defense situations.

Are there any reliability issues with the 10 rd magazines for the VP9? If so, that factor should be considered, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    How many people who lost their gunfight lost because they ran out of ammunition? Very, very, very few.

How many people who lost their gunfight lost because they ran out of time? All the rest.

Capacity is nice, but its diminishing returns. Three is better than one, and five is better than three, but once you get up into 8+ its generally a wash as the fight is over one way or the other before you're dry.

Which one do you shoot the accurately the fastest from the holster in the style you would carry daily? Carry that one. I'd take a 10 round mag I shot a tenth of a second faster than a 17 round mag that was that tenth of a second slower for the same accuracy at normal self defense situations.
    I'd offer up the idea that more bullets in the gun = more time in the fight. While it may be a wash looking at 10+ rounds 'n 17+ rounds prior to a fight, the difference is starker when you're left with a mag thats 0/10 vs. 7/17, ones out of time in the fight.
    Last edited by Saur; 03-20-2015 at 09:08 PM. Reason: my grammarz sooo weak

I think the Rangemaster Core Handgun Skills test is a great way to compare stuff. Run it cold at the beginning of each session, say three or four times, then get a like number with the other gun. I'd trade five rounds in the gun for a 10% improvement. Anything less than that would seem like noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ignore Alien Orders

Safest choice is to wait until after the VP9 has been adopted by a major LE organization and been in use 18 months before carrying it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List