Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Junk Carry Pillow (AIWB cushion)

Junk Carry Pillow (AIWB cushion)

Dear fellow AIWB (aka "junk") carriers,

I have finally put together some illustrated instructions for my Junk Carry Pillow (JCP), as seen in the JMCK thread and elsewhere. A few notes before I get into the details: 1) I use this device to cushion my AIWB holsters, which are carried at 12:30, and ride between junk and thigh (not over the leg at 1:00). 2) Comfort is one reason I use a cushion, but it also ensures that the muzzle is pointed away from my body. I'll leave it up to you to decide if this device might be a good idea for you; if you shoot your dick off it's not my fault. 3) I am not very good at sewing, and won't make one of these for anyone so don't ask.

Components:
    Multicam NyCo ripstop fabric

Hook velcro (use two long strips side by side for more flexibility to conform to holster).

Sticky loop velcro

Instructions:
    Cut enough sticky velcro to cover lower inside of holster. Round off corners with scissors. Clean holster twice with rubbing alcohol, and heat gently with a hair dryer. Then apply sticky velcro, making sure to cover the part that rubs on your inner thigh.

Cut cloth into a 12" x 4" strip (or 12 x 3 if you want a narrower pillow).

Sew on two strips of hook velcro making sure total width is no greater than your loop strip on the holster. Note in the pictures below how the velcro goes on one side of the strip, but leaves room for the wide "bellows" described below. The gap between the hook velcro makes the pillow conform to the holster better than one big strip.

Bonus for cutting the thread with your Ban Tang Clinch Pick.

Now, work on the inside of the cloth.

Sew off top edges to prevent unravelling.

Fold cloth in half, and make a "bellows" at the bottom.

Sew the four edges of the bellows at 45 degrees.

Sew the sides of the cloth to make a pocket with the bellows at the end. Stop at the bellows. Don't sew into it.

Turn the pocket right side out and check dimensions. If you suck at sewing like me, you'll probably have to redo it.

If it looks good, sew the sides and the bellows a second time so it doesn't come apart in the washing machine. You may want to taper the side stitches toward the mouth of the pocket.

Stuff the pocket with polyfill to make a pillow. Try it on the holster, and test it in your pants using an unloaded gun.

When it's right, close the top with a single line of stitches. (You may want to open it again after the stuffing compresses.)

Add a vertical line of stitches between the velcro strips to keep the polyfill down at the bottom of the JCP where it belongs.

Good job dude! Your JCP is done.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-19-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Cool idea. I can hear the ladies now. "Is that a junk carry pillow in your pants or are you just happy to see me?"

Nice write up.

It's about time you made this thread Clusterfrack.

Site Supporter
    Awesome!

We are diminished
    Thanks for the detailed instructions, Clusterfrack!

Very cool, thanks!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

The thought occurs to me that a guy could make a rather comfy version of this for hot weather by using some sort of Cool Max type fabric and stuffing.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Thanks! Sent the link to my wife, she is quite crafty. I'll see how she does and maybe she can make more then one!

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Thanks! Sent the link to my wife, she is quite crafty. I'll see how she does and maybe she can make more then one!
    Let's see the pics when she's done! Bet it will be prettier than mine.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List