Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Junk Carry Pillow (AIWB cushion)

Just wanted to add a postscript/hack. I felt it best here because this is the Junk Carry Pillow @Clusterfrack thread; however, it also relates to the Appendix Carry Pillow by @Mack Mastermind Tactics.

So this past weekend I was carrying my Glock 19 in my JM CK AIWB 2.5. As per normal, I use a MMT Appendix Carry Pillow. However, up till now I'd been trying options to cushion the upper end of the pistol slide, in particular the optic. The latest experiment was a rotated Melody Lauer Holster hack, aka a Dr. Scholl's Womens size M gel heel pad. This worked ok but was always kinda sticky and hot. And the rubber of the gel pad didn't feel all that great, since it stuck and pulled a bit, especially here in FL.

It occurred to me that I could take the same approach as the gel pad, but use another JCP instead. In fact, I had an extra MMT ACP with an open mouth I'd been playing with the stuffing (Ahem! Phrasing!). Since it's basically a small square of fabric, I thought it could work exactly like a compression T-shirt to insulate the gun, but without having to wear a T-shirt?

I removed the stuffing, so the ACP was flat. Then I rotated it 180, and placed it on the end of the holster so it covered the optic and rear of the slide/holster kydex.

My unstuffed orange ACP is pictured below, on the left, with my normal gray stuffed ACP at right:

Name:  IMG_0556.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  72.9 KB

I dunno what to call this. Appendix Carry Mini-Pillow (ACMP) ? Appendix Carry Cushion (ACC) ?

Anyway, I wore this the last three days and IT IS FANTASTIC. I get all the benefits of having a T-shirt, with no T-shirt. It stays in place since it's velcro'd, and the fabric is fine against my skin, with no rubbing or discomfort. A few brief dry draws show it doesn't get in the way either, at least for me. I may play around some more with this, possibly inserting a plastic playing card, trimmed to fit the pocket of the unstuffed ACP, to add a bit of stiffness, but I dunno if this is really necessary yet.

Just wanted to pass this on in case it was of interest.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-15-2022 at 05:56 AM.

User Tag List