Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Junk Carry Pillow (AIWB cushion)

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    First go round. Not to hard to make, and I learned how to use a sewing machine.

I think if I ironed all the folds to make them more uniform it would look a little better but that's not really a big deal.

Attachment 67889
    Awesome! And in P-F orange!
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I am evaluating an ECP to the original JCP. I bought some more velcro 3/4" strips, and cut it lengthwise, about 2". I used this to make another JCP Compact.

Basically I sewed these two strips on the hem, facing each other on the right side, as I did the upper end of the fabric. The objective was to allow a self-closing design that you could open up later to add or subtract PolyFil stuffing to, or if you needed to replace the original PolyFil, without having to seam-rip the stitches out each time.

I think it works; albeit I think maybe I would have left them at 3/4" for a more positive seal.

Name:  IMG_8324.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  69.9 KB

That’s a good idea, @Rj. A flap closure might be the way to go if you’re using Velcro.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That’s a good idea, @Rj. A flap closure might be the way to go if you’re using Velcro.
    Name:  EDEED65C-60C2-4ACF-837D-B6FAD510E7A8.jpeg
Views: 372
Size:  73.7 KB

A flap you say...

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I am evaluating an ECP to the original JCP. I bought some more velcro 3/4" strips, and cut it lengthwise, about 2". I used this to make another JCP Compact.
    That’s funny, I was just thinking about this last night. I may have slightly overfilled the JCP I am currently using, I thought it would end up compressing down more than it did. Looks like you beat me to it. I should order some higher quality fabric and make an updated version

Basically I sewed these two strips on the hem, facing each other on the right side, as I did the upper end of the fabric. The objective was to allow a self-closing design that you could open up later to add or subtract PolyFil stuffing to, or if you needed to replace the original PolyFil, without having to seam-rip the stitches out each time.

I think it works; albeit I think maybe I would have left them at 3/4" for a more positive seal.

Name:  IMG_8324.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  69.9 KB
    Awesome! I was thinking about how to create an velcro opening. Looks like you got it figured out. Nice work. I think I'll try this for my next one.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

As I'm considering a purchase simply to start fiddling with junk carry pillows, I'll pose a question I never thought I'd ask - especially on PF: Do ya'll have any recommendations on sewing machines?

Quote Originally Posted by CR78 View Post
    As I'm considering a purchase simply to start fiddling with junk carry pillows, I'll pose a question I never thought I'd ask - especially on PF: Do ya'll have any recommendations on sewing machines?
    My wife has old sewing machines, but just bought a Brother serger. I think that brand is cheap but good.

Quote Originally Posted by CR78 View Post
    I have a Singer (can’t remember the exact model, it’s at home) that I bought to sew patches on my uniforms. I don’t sew all the time, but I’ve had it for a few years and never had an issue.

A flap you say...
    I mocked up the two velcro top closeout options with some spare fabric and pins today.

The "Flap":

Name:  IMG_8335.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  63.3 KB

Pros: The flap would guard against stuffing exiting the top with a close-over feature. But I'm not sure that's really necessary in this application. Con: Additional length of fabric is required for the 3/4" velcroX2, including the initial hem.

The "Butt":

Name:  IMG_8336.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  97.0 KB

I think this would be my preference. There's no need to extend the pattern that much. Since you are hemming the top edge anyway, you can just hold the velcro on and sew it as you go on each end. On prototype Hotel. I split the velcro in half lengthwise, and I think that might have been a bit insufficient retention. These two small 3/4" lengths should be enough to retain the polyfil. You have to yank on them pretty hard to get them apart, being velcro and all.

I may go ahead and knock out another prototype, India, to see how this would work.

User Tag List