Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Junk Carry Pillow (AIWB cushion)

I am using a CCC Shaggy which has been my gold standard appendix for 11 years.

Reasonably flat, or reasonably fat? There's a video of me shooting, you can see my body type

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....A-carry-optics
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    CCC Shaggy

I don't think those came with a wing. With my JMCK, I don't technically "need" any wedge or pad at all. I spend a lot of time at desks and driving, so without a pad, the outboard corner at the muzzle eats an absolute hole in my inner thigh.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post

I don't think those came with a wing.
    Yes, Shaggy is purely a mouthband-level wedge design. It has worked well for me. I don't like kydex rigs with wings. I've never found a plastic holster with a wing that didn't push grip in so much that the opposite side of the gun didn't lift and slide/rear sight didn't print like a mofo. Leather rigs with wings work OK because they conform sooner or later but polymer wings are not my thing.

Red face

I tried my new Junk Carry Pillow today. I made it about 4 hours before switching back to the foam wedge from JM Custom. It is as advertised, a pillow. Soft and squishy. My holster/pistol didn't fit nearly as snug to my body and concealment suffered. If the pillow was twice as thick (to compensate for the fluff compressing) or made of a firmer fill material it might have worked for me. As for now, the foam wedge on top of extra-tuck is where it's at.

There's two wedges for sale in the marketplace if anyone is looking
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by 3-7-77 View Post
    I tried my new Junk Carry Pillow today. I made it about 4 hours before switching back to the foam wedge from JM Custom. It is as advertised, a pillow. Soft and squishy. My holster/pistol didn't fit nearly as snug to my body and concealment suffered. If the pillow was twice as thick (to compensate for the fluff compressing) or made of a firmer fill material it might have worked for me. As for now, the foam wedge on top of extra-tuck is where it's at.

There's two wedges for sale in the marketplace if anyone is looking
    I had a similar experience. Very well made, but doesn't work as well for me as a wedge or even a foam pad. I'll wait to post mine for sale until yours are gone, but if you get anybody wanting them after yours sell send them my way.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Yes, Shaggy is purely a mouthband-level wedge design. It has worked well for me. I don't like kydex rigs with wings. I've never found a plastic holster with a wing that didn't push grip in so much that the opposite side of the gun didn't lift and slide/rear sight didn't print like a mofo. Leather rigs with wings work OK because they conform sooner or later but polymer wings are not my thing.
    Have you tried sanding down a wing attachment to reduce the amount of rotation? It's a pretty cheap experiment.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

I haven't. Didn't think of it.

We have a limited run of orange pillows out. We have been getting some questions on where our Limited Edition Shop is located so we thought it we be good to post a link here as our sub-forum is not checked as frequently.

https://www.mastermindtactics.com/limited-editions

Name:  Mastermind Limited Edition ACP.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  51.0 KB

We wanted to post in here for anyone that follows this thread. We have recently designed an end user adjustable ACP and have created a new thread in our sub-forum:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....70#post1256870

Cross-post of my review of the latest Mastermind ACPs

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @Mack sent me a Gen3 ACP-w, and the new ACP-adjustable. Below is my T&E report after 3 days of using the new pillow-wedges.

TLDR: I think I have reached Junk Carry Nirvana. If you carry AIWB, an ACP will make your rig more comfortable, with the same concealability as a foam wedge. The latest MasterMind ACPs now come in a wide range of sizes and options to match any body type and gun combination (see below for details).

The previous generations of ACP were good, but there was room for improvement. The first "Gen1" ACP-w pillow-wedge was under-stuffed. That made it comfortable as a pad, but for many people, it lacked the volume of a good concealment wedge. The fill Mastermind uses is a premium bed pillow fiberfill, and is compressible and breathable--a good thing for comfort--but it compacts with time and use. After a few weeks, I found the Gen1 ACPs to be similar to the newer ACP-p model. They work well for a small gun and a skinny waist. The Gen2 ACP-w was overstuffed. Over time it broke in and compressed, but it took up a bit too much volume for my body type. The Gen2 ACP-p is a thinner pad, and I like it a lot. I have it on a Glock26 in a G19 JMCK George holster, and it’s pretty much perfect for that use.

ACP-w, Gen3
    The new Gen3 ACP-w has a momma-bear amount of fill, and I think it’s perfect. It compresses as I move or sit, but wedges the gun solidly enough for me to conceal a P-07 under a Smedium t-shirt.

ACP-adjustable
    The newest ACP is the adjustable pillow-wedge that you fill yourself. It comes with a baggie of the same fill used in the other ACPs, but you can experiment with your own stuffing as well. I had tried poly beads in an ACP, like a hacky sack. The beads weren't very comfortable or breathable, so I filled my new ACP-adjustable with Nestl gel memory foam. After filling, I put the ACP in the drier on low for 15 minutes to expand the foam fully. The total weight of my ACP with the foam is 25 grams. So far, this combination provides the best comfort I've experienced carrying AIWB, and also excellent wedging for concealment. The memory foam conforms to holster and body shape better than fiberfill, and feels cool.

The adjustable ACP lacks the stitching keeping the fill out of the top 1” of pillow. We want to keep the thickness under the belt line at a minimum, and that’s the reason for the stitching in the other ACPs. I solved the problem by shoving the filling deep into the pillow with my finger before I closed the velcro aperture. As well, the hook-and-loop section on the adjustable pillow is 1" wide so securing it all the way should provide a fairly close approximation of the vertical stitching on the other pillows.

Note: ACPs should hang about 1/2" past the end of the holster for both comfort and concealment. The ACP can be used to make a short holster act like a long one. You can also adjust where the pillow sits horizontally as well. I put mine a bit toward the right side to pad my leg.

Summary of ACP models:
    • ACP-pad: if you want to add padding for comfort, but don't need a wedge to tuck the grip for concealment. Also good for skinny people carrying small guns.
    • ACP-wedge: this appendix carry pillow should work for most body types and guns.
    • ACP-king size: this is a good pillow for bigger people or anyone who has a large difference in circumference between tummy and groin.
    • ACP-adjustable: If the standard ACPs aren’t perfect for your body/gun combo, or you want to try your own fill, the adjustable ACP is the way to go.

ACP-w and unstuffed ACP-adjustable

ACP-w on JMCK P-07

ACP-adjustable on JMCK P-07. Note how memory foam allows pillow to wrap around holster and conform to its shape.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List