Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Survey on police weapons and opinions

Site Supporter
    Can you elaborate on your FNS pistol, Fred? My department will likely become what may be the first department to adopt the FNS-9.

I've carried the 1911, XD, Glock, HK, and now an FNX-40. We're permitted personal sidearms. While I shoot the Glock well and stay qualled with it, it is at the bottom of my favorites list.

As I've noted before, unless an agency has the ability and resources to expend at least 300,000 rounds and realistically probably more like 500,000 rounds to perform a valid and statistically significant test of firearms, it is probably best to assess what very large, well resourced, and technically capable organizations, like the FBI, have found in large scale scientific testing, as well as carefully observe what combat experienced SOF units that have high round count training schedules have discovered about firearms. It is likely NOT wise to adopt a weapon system within the first year of its introduction, if it has not been tested and approved by a large organization using a valid test protocol, or if they weapon system has not withstood the stresses of wide-scale and demanding use by fast paced, well regarded SOF units.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    What???? You mean it may not be the best decision to be seemingly the first agency anywhere to adopt the FNS-9? I mean, we voted and a lot of people liked it!

Yeah....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

For general issue, A Gen 3 or 4 Glock 17/19 is tough to beat.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    What???? You mean it may not be the best decision to be seemingly the first agency anywhere to adopt the FNS-9? I mean, we voted and a lot of people liked it!
    My carry pistol was beta tested about 40 years ago. I've seen no compelling reason to change. I'm always glad to see other folks do so, though. Maybe someday one of these technological wonders will actually be better at something other than "but its lighter!" and "you can't forget to decock under stress!"

(this post best read in grumpy old man voice).

I think, when it comes to "dissing" Glocks in general, some are missing a huge point; to wit, Glock as a company is VERY adept at getting folks' attention, and keeping it.

My bride and I went to a GSSF match yesterday. It was a most interesting experience. I am no stranger to organized competition, having been hard-core into NRA PPC and conventional pistol, (bullseye), and dabbled with IPSC/USPSA/IDPA, but I'd never been to one of these GSSF deals before. I found it to be sort of a Bianchi Cup, without the mover.

In short, it is a most excellent way for the average person to get involved in organized competition. You can go as shallow, or deep, into it as you choose. The courses of fire are challenging, but not overly difficult. There is no byzantine maze of rules to try and keep up with, and everybody pretty much shoots heads-up with the other competitors. They must put a chip or something into the range staff at every venue; I personally knew a lot of the ROs, and some of them are, shall we say, less than charitable toward newbies. Yet, without exception, all staff types we encountered were exceedingly friendly and helpful... just what is needed to shephard a rookie through the process. At one stage, they even gave my wife a Mulligan when she got confused and TOTALLY gooned up one string.

My point here is, Glock is covering the "civilian" side of their market with these events. We ran across several older couples of our age, who were deep into it and having a ball. One enthusiastic 62 YOA woman was a real hoot; she was quick to tell us that she had shot her first gun just two years ago, had already won one gun and was hoping for another one. Saw a few yuppie types with the same level of enthusiasm. What really got my attention was the number of competitiors who had travelled quite a ways to get there (the match was held in deep south Louisiana). You expect that from hard-core shooters; you do NOT expect it from Chip and Muffy and grandparents.

Aside from the rather steep initial outlay (the bill for my wife and I to join up and shoot three "divisions"- two for her, one for me- was $135), I enjoyed it. I recognize the Glock for what it is, I have a few of them, but I really don't LIKE the pistols. Ditto for my bride, who has become a die-hard HK fan. But she shot that LE trade-in G17 well enough; and she had fun too. The multiple opportunities to "win" a gun in random drawings, along with the awards for top shooting, got her attention... although she was rather miffed to learn that said awards would be a Glock pistol. She was hoping for a carte-blanche prize...

Okay, this is off-topic, but I think it relevant in helping to understand just how Glock is overwhelmingly popular, and not just among military and US law enforcement.

These surveys are always a little interesting... I was surprised S&W wasn't higher and was surprised Beretta was in there....

I'm not so sure there are many guns really better than a Glock all things considered.... Sure, a CZ SPO1 Shadow is a much better shooting pistol but lugging one around for 10 hours isn't practical.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    GSSF
    Totally agree with you about GSSF. It's an excellent competition that is narrow but deep.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List